Help! Chicken can't walk!

animalfarm1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Animal Farm
Hello!
A few days ago, my chicken broke her leg, today, I noticed the top of her leg, where it meets her body, is blue? She is eating, drinking, chirping and hops around on her good leg. Why is her broken leg blue and is it serious? Please let me know!

I have had the same thing happen and it resulted in an amputation but I have been following a chicken as she recovers and she has recovered

I have had the same thing happen and it resulted in an amputation but I have been following a chicken as she recovers and she has recovered 

I hope I don't have to amputate her. :( she is a very lively girl (probably too lively that she broke her leg)

write a provate message to darkramamama and ask her about her chicken's recovery, she did it the long way and didn't am putate the leg

Hello!
A few days ago, my chicken broke her leg, today, I noticed the top of her leg, where it meets her body, is blue? She is eating, drinking, chirping and hops around on her good leg. Why is her broken leg blue and is it serious? Please let me know!
Breaks in the upper thigh are harder to manage and get to heal. I would place her in a cage with food and water close by so she will rest the leg for at least 2 weeks. A chicken sling may be a good thing to use for her. Here is a good thread to read with pictures of a sling:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902413/hen-with-broken-leg-near-hock
Here are a few pictures of other slings:

59765_pp.jpg
LL
LL
58484_ruby2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom