HELP, chicken coughing, gasping, listless, spreading rapidly

Quote:
If you do have IB, this is a virus- giving them auremycin or any systemic antibiotic is not helpful, and may increase resistance to this antibiotic by any resident bacteria. If you do get ahold of an extension agent, make sure you let them know what drugs the birds have in their systems- it may make a difference on what they can accurately test for. Culturing for bacteria is much harder when there are antibiotics floating around. Lots of ways to test for things, the poultry extension folk will run the appropriate ones if given all of the needed info.

my husband want to cull the whole flock. What do you think? They act fine other than they sneeze. I hate to lose them all.

Last edited:
So I went to work and came home only to find that the hubby culled our entire flock of chickens and all of our pheasants. I am so mad!!!

As you should be, if the Pheasants were not having problems why cull them?

Another thing to consider is the fact that you will not know what they had and can formulate no prevention plan for future birds. Can you at least send one off for a necropsy or did he already dispose of them?

he said he heard one cough and they weren't their normal active selves. So he just got rid of all 5 just in case because he is worried more about saving the peafowl than anything else.

thanks!! I think my peafowl and ducks are traumatized. The ducks quit laying and won't come outside and the peafowl don't come out and if they do they stay huddled in the corner....Poor little birds i think that they think that they are next.

Quote:
Sorry to hear you lost your flock (since you were not expecting it)
I was also thinking Infectious Bronchitis and I pulled the quote above because I wanted to say that wrinkled eggs are not necessarily a sign of current infection...usually this is one of the symptoms associated with a past infection which (at a certain age) can damage the reproductive tract and cause this abnormality.

Back
Top Bottom