Help chicken doesn’t know he’s a chicken

Bobbi T

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
We rescued an apartment raised rooster. He doesn’t know how to be a chicken much less a rooster. Our old guy died so we took in this 6 months old Silky. Our flock is mixed and have accepted him fairly well but he only wants to be around people and be held. Doesn’t know to go in the coop at night or come out at sunrise unless we carry him in and out.

Any suggestions about how to help him be a chicken?

I had this happen with a show hen who spent her life in a raised breeding coop.
Give him some time. Being with other chickens outside is the best thing for him at the moment. It will be a slow process but he will understand soon.
Thanks for the encouragement. Poor guy. He has no chicken instincts. He’s small which makes it even sadder. We let them range in and out of our orchard, their run and coop but he stays huddled in the coop unless I take him out. We close them up at night to keep them safe. I have to be sure he’s in or he’ll just stay out. I will just take it one day at a time. Thanks very much

A big part of this is being in new surroundings. Being a chicken with no outdoor experience complicates things even more. The solution is to make his world small enough to manage until her feels at home, then expand his world gradually.

How to do that? He's already showing you by wanting to remain in the coop. It makes it easier for him to cope with the changes in his life. Maybe make a small safe pen in the run for his next step. He'll feel safe and gradually he'll adapt.

Thanks for the encouragement. Poor guy. He has no chicken instincts. He’s small which makes it even sadder. We let them range in and out of our orchard, their run and coop but he stays huddled in the coop unless I take him out. We close them up at night to keep them safe. I have to be sure he’s in or he’ll just stay out. I will just take it one day at a time. Thanks very much
Of course. Do you have any pics of him?

You are doing the right thing, good luck!

A big part of this is being in new surroundings. Being a chicken with no outdoor experience complicates things even more. The solution is to make his world small enough to manage until her feels at home, then expand his world gradually.

How to do that? He's already showing you by wanting to remain in the coop. It makes it easier for him to cope with the changes in his life. Maybe make a small safe pen in the run for his next step. He'll feel safe and gradually he'll adapt.
I agree.

Thanks. I will keep hoping and working with him. He pretty much stays wherever I put him. The only time he moves is to come to wherever I am. Patience is going to be the name of the game I think. I appreciate the encouragement from fellow chicken people.

Attachments

• C10E3A8C-3B67-453F-BE4A-634E6C04EBDA.jpeg
    C10E3A8C-3B67-453F-BE4A-634E6C04EBDA.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E52BB80D-49AA-4BF7-BCD5-28F27E6EB14A.jpeg
    E52BB80D-49AA-4BF7-BCD5-28F27E6EB14A.jpeg
    943.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom