Help! Chicken has a really bad wing injury!

FuzzyCritters

Crowing
Mar 13, 2020
Kitsap county, WA
I noticed yesterday one of my Delaware pullets had an injury on her wing. It looks to be a really bad peck injury. I think she must have gotten a small scratch on her wing, and the other chickens started to peck the blood and caused a lot of damage. I trimmed the wing feathers around the wound and washed it with Vetricyn, applied antibacterial ointment, wrapped her wing, and separated her into a crate.

Today it looks a lot worse. It is a lot more swollen, and some of skin has turned green. I have no idea if that is bruising or infection or something else. I pulled a couple of feathers out of the wound, and they slid right out. The inside of feather had pus in it, I assume from the wound. Does this mean it has abscessed, or gotten infected? I washed the wound and applied the same treatment as yesterday.

Other than her injury, she is healthy. She is still acting normal, eating and drinking, no lethargy.

I am really worried her wound is infected and might become septic. What kind of antibiotics can I give her to prevent that? Vet care is not an option, but I will do everything else I can to help her.

Here are the pictures from today:
33680885-875B-4C11-B2C0-D0B75A63F683.jpeg

50154F67-1101-47A8-A8FD-96E883B42B03.jpeg

7384B554-29EB-4152-ABAD-92A1716C7608.jpeg

View from the bottom of the wing
79EB2389-5725-428C-A7C6-3F2CF9CB04A2.jpeg

Wrapping method. I made sure that wrapping didn't inhibit her normal functions very much. I don't want to have to wrap her, but otherwise she eats the ointment off and pokes her wound.
9E2D44C7-38CB-4BD0-87D4-4B985F15BA98.jpeg

Thanks for reading all the way through.

I am so sorry.
I don't have experience with this.
I hope she feels better.
I would also use vetericyn.
Do you free range or have an open run that maybe the wound was caused by a predator?

I am so sorry.
I don't have experience with this.
I hope she feels better.
I would also use vetericyn.
Do you free range or have an open run that maybe the wound was caused by a predator?
Thanks for the kind words. They stay in the run during the morning, and I let them out after eagle hunting hours, usually somewhere between 10 and 11:00. I don't think it was a predator because I saw her injury right after I let them out yesterday, but it is possible. I have been using Vetricyn to clean the wound up.

It seems if it's already infected, which it seems it is to me, I might try putting bluekote on? Also supplementing with vitimine supplement for animals will only help to give them more energy to fight off infection to. Sorry about your bird.

Back
Top Bottom