HELP!! Chicken has butt problem and is weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by perlover48, Dec 23, 2016.

1. perlover48

perlover48 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Yesterday I was out in the coop feeding the chickens one of them was walking slowly and wobbling around. She fell and couldnt get up. I helped her eat and thought she just kept getting pushed around by the others and not able to get food. Then today I found her getting stepped on so I pick her up, and bring her into my house with water because I felt her and she had eaten. I was talking to my friend and petting the her. Then I felt a lump on her backside. I take a look and her anus is sticking out a bit. I dont know what to do and Im scared shes going to die. I have a heat lamp inside the coop for my chickens but I dont knkw what caused this to happen and I dony know how to help. Can you help me?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It appears she is egg bound.Give her Calcium and a warm bath with Epsom salt for 20 minutes.To be sure she is egg bound you can rub your finger with Vaseline and slowly insert it in her vent and feel for any egg.Just act fast being egg bound will kill them in a matter of days.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

The calcium will help future eggs, but not actually this one. She does sound egg bound to me. The warm epsom bath should help! Then a dark quiet place to rest for a while and try to pass it.

What is her age and breed?

I agree it's urgent!

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Without any calcium the muscles will not be able to push the egg out.Calcium is not only for the strength for the eggs but for the muscles .The calcium should help.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Ok, hadn't heard that before. Thanks for sharing.

I know with the Epsom salt bath magnesium transfers into the muscles is why athletes use it for muscle relief.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yeah i believed what you said at first.But i always heard that you were supposed to give them calcium and i knew there had to be a reason.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by