Help...chicken has prolapsed vent I believe??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KK'schicks, Mar 26, 2018.

1. KK'schicks

KK'schicks Chirping

Sep 6, 2017
    Is this prolapsed vent?
    She is 7 months old, has been laying for a while with no issues.
    She has a little blood in her poop. Not sure how exactly to treat this and I’m so worried...
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Yes it looks like a prolapse. Here is a good link with info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
    Separate her in a crate so that she doesn't get pecked which will make things a lot worse.
    In addition to the things mentioned in the article above you can also use raw honey (manuka is really good but $$) or sugar to help shrink the swelling. You do need to keep the tissue moist so that it doesn't dry out and become necrotic until you can get it to stay in where it belongs. Veterycin spray is really good to use (and can be used on just about everything) and is pretty widely available. Hope this helps, best of luck, this can be a recurring issue in some birds.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. KK'schicks

KK'schicks Chirping

Sep 6, 2017
    I washed and separated her. It went in on its own. There is no visible blood at this time. Do I need to keep her quiet and separated for a while?

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Yes, I would keep her in dark/low light for a while to let her rest and give it a chance to heal. Keeping the hours of daylight down that she is exposed to will help discourage her body from trying to lay.
    You will need to keep an eye on her in case it happens again. It could have just been from a very large egg, or could be a problem that she's going to continue to have. Glad it went back in on it's own, that's a good thing.

KK'schicks likes this.
  5. KK'schicks

KK'schicks Chirping

Sep 6, 2017

6. KK'schicks

KK'schicks Chirping

Sep 6, 2017
    Thank you so much! I’m hoping it’s a one time thing. Now I discovered this while bathing her...it’s bunblefoot right? Ugh what a day

Attached Files:

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
  8. KK'schicks

KK'schicks Chirping

Sep 6, 2017
    Thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: