Help!! Chicken hissing, sitting and comb is purple!!

HallChicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
I noticed a couple of days ago that one of my ladies was hissing and sounded like an old man trying to catch his breath (we just moved and with 4 kids 6 and under I could not get out there any earlieR- now I feel terrible!!). Today another is sick and they are both sitting on the ground with their eyes closed and their combs are purple!! HELP!! What is it??? What can I do? We only have four ladies and I would hate to lose 2!

I'm no expert but my Storey's Guide to raising chickens states that a purplish head can be a sign of septicemia (infection got into the blood stream). Can be caused by cholera, colibacillus, or streptococcosis.
I hope everything turns out okay....good luck.
hugs.gif

Calling all chicken experts out there.....

I don;t know how to help... try searching for purple comb and see what you find... search especially within the injury/sickness section. Hopefully you will find what you need, or someone who can help will come along soon!

We just moved into a new house- we have no fence or grass- just dirt. The pen is 10x5 and we only have 4 ladies. We used to let them out (last week at our last house), but cannot here so they have been a bit cooped up (no pun intended...).

So we have them in their pen on dirt and they have been like that for about a week. My daughter just went out and noticed they have mites. I have not dusted them lately because I thought they were taking care of this themselves in our old yard. I saw them rolling in the dry soil. Could this contribute to the problem???

HELP!!

Do they have shade? Have they had access to water at all times? The purple comb and the hissing would lead me to believe that it is some sort of breathing issues. What is the temp like there? (not sure where you are located) Did you make sure there was nothing in the new coop that they could have gotten into?

I would take the 2 that are sick inside, if possible, and put them in a cool dark room. If you have some vitamins and elecrolyts then I would start them on that. If you do not you can give them gatorade or pedalyte.

Thank you for your advice! The chickens do have lots of water and shade..... I phoned about 15 vets this morning and finally found one that knew a little about chickens. I got some anibiotics and had to inject them into my chickens!- that was crazy!!! Our beautiful Wyndotte dominant female has since died- she died just after we picked her up. I think the stress of that was just too much for her. We all cried.

I just hope the other one makes it.... We are keeping our fingers crossed.

is there a coop?

could it be from inhaling dust?
or any chemicals in the dirt?

what antibiotic are you giving?

hope the others get better..
sorry for the loss of your hen.

Back
Top Bottom