HELP! chicken is holding one leg up and will not walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hannah Weston, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Hannah Weston

Hannah Weston Just Hatched

Jul 16, 2016
    Seneca Falls, New York
    Hi everyone,
    I went out to the coop today to let everyone outside and I noticed that my laying red, ginger, was on laying on the ground upright. I opened the door and she did not move (very unusual for her), so I went over to her and tried to stand her up and when I did I noticed she was holding one leg in the air. She can stand, but she can't walk and so I brought her into my house in a crate with bedding and food. I fed her water with a medicine syringe. I can't seem to find any bulges or anything unusual with her leg other than she won't put it down. What is wrong and it there anything I can do for her?

2. Hannah Weston

Jul 16, 2016
    Seneca Falls, New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Will she drink if you place a cup of water in front of her? Is she eating? She may have a broken leg or a bad sprain. Look for signs of bumblefoot on the bottoms of her feet (dark spot or scab, swelling, may be red on pad or between toes.) Is there any swelling of her leg joints or bruising? I would make her a chicken sling or chair to get her upright, and if you can see sign of a broken bone, you could splint it. If not, I would not splint. Here is a link on splinting: https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here are some examples of homemade slings:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Hannah Weston

Jul 16, 2016
    Seneca Falls, New York
    She doesn't seem interested in the water if I put it in front of her but she is eating. She is getting ancy and trying to walk but she can't, and I feel putting her in a sling would not work as she would just freak out. I can't see any breaks and I'm not sure where to look for swelling, but I just wrapped her leg in a wrap that sticks to itself to try to keep it straight. I'm really lost as to what else to do as of now[​IMG] [​IMG] here's a better picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by