HELP! chicken is holding one leg up and will not walk!

Hannah Weston

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Seneca Falls, New York
Hi everyone,
I went out to the coop today to let everyone outside and I noticed that my laying red, ginger, was on laying on the ground upright. I opened the door and she did not move (very unusual for her), so I went over to her and tried to stand her up and when I did I noticed she was holding one leg in the air. She can stand, but she can't walk and so I brought her into my house in a crate with bedding and food. I fed her water with a medicine syringe. I can't seem to find any bulges or anything unusual with her leg other than she won't put it down. What is wrong and it there anything I can do for her?

Last edited:
Will she drink if you place a cup of water in front of her? Is she eating? She may have a broken leg or a bad sprain. Look for signs of bumblefoot on the bottoms of her feet (dark spot or scab, swelling, may be red on pad or between toes.) Is there any swelling of her leg joints or bruising? I would make her a chicken sling or chair to get her upright, and if you can see sign of a broken bone, you could splint it. If not, I would not splint. Here is a link on splinting: https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here are some examples of homemade slings:

6612_chick_chair.jpg
LL
59765_pp.jpg
chickensling-500x276.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg

Last edited:
Will she drink if you place a cup of water in front of her? Is she eating? She may have a broken leg or a bad sprain. Look for signs of bumblefoot on the bottoms of her feet (dark spot or scab, swelling, may be red on pad or between toes.) Is there any swelling of her leg joints or bruising? I would make her a chicken sling or chair to get her upright, and if you can see sign of a broken bone, you could splint it. If not, I would not splint. Here is a link on splinting: https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf Here are some examples of homemade slings: [COLOR=333333]
6612_chick_chair.jpg
[/COLOR]
LL
[COLOR=333333]
59765_pp.jpg
[/COLOR]
chickensling-500x276.jpg
[COLOR=333333]
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg
[/COLOR]
She doesn't seem interested in the water if I put it in front of her but she is eating. She is getting ancy and trying to walk but she can't, and I feel putting her in a sling would not work as she would just freak out. I can't see any breaks and I'm not sure where to look for swelling, but I just wrapped her leg in a wrap that sticks to itself to try to keep it straight. I'm really lost as to what else to do as of now
1f615.png
here's a better picture

Last edited:
What ended up happening to your hen? I have a feather footed one doing the same thing? I’ve been soaking in Epsom salts, iodine on feather shafts & antibiotic cream with little improvement. I have her isolated now for 4 days? Just worried!

What ended up happening to your hen? I have a feather footed one doing the same thing? I’ve been soaking in Epsom salts, iodine on feather shafts & antibiotic cream with little improvement. I have her isolated now for 4 days? Just worried!
Andrea70, what happened to yours? I have a feather footed rooster limping around. Broke my heart watching him try to fly up to the roost tonight and he kept falling. 😭

Back
Top Bottom