Help! Chicken Killed In Run!!!!

Fluffs_flock

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
I have about a dozen chickens. We don't free range them, they stay in their coop and run at all times. The run is fully enclosed.
They were let out very early in the morning, 3:30 ish.
One of the chickens, Spadey was beheaded near the wire.
Is it a raccoon? And how do we prevent this from happening again.
Please help, Spadey was a good chicken.

Small on the bottom half of the run, to small to even fit a finger through.
Bigger wire on the top, large enough for her head to fit through.
There is a board running along that the chickens liked to sit on, she was most likely on there.
Her head was taken, which makes me think it was a raccoon.

Small on the bottom half of the run, to small to even fit a finger through.
Bigger wire on the top, large enough for her head to fit through.
There is a board running along that the chickens liked to sit on, she was most likely on there.
Her head was taken, which makes me think it was a raccoon.
How high up was the bigger wire from the ground?

Sounds like a raccoon. It will be back. Put hardware cloth where the bigger openings are.

You need to eliminate the raccoons now. Small caliber garden gun or high powered pellet gun if you are firearms averse.

The higher wire was maybe a bit over 2 feet off the ground. We've never seen a raccoon, though I do know there is a fox in the area. Best guess is that it climbed and reached through the wire.
Willing to shoot if I get the chance, but I don't know if I'll get the chance.
We were thinking of either hardware cloth to get rid of the large holes, or barbed wire so it couldn't get near. Which would be better?
Thank you all for you help.

So sorry for your loss!
Hardware cloth everywhere is best!
Barbed wire, no way. Electric fencing, properly set up, is effective, but not so much against rats or weasels. Having a roost or other object close to your inadequate fencing gave your bird an opportunity to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom