HELP! Chicken making weird sound when it breathes!

critterkeeper25

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2014
South Jersey - down on the farm.
I'm in a panic! While getting myself together this a.m., I heard through the window (shut) a sound similar to a giant bumble bee buzzing around a flower. Trying to figure out what it was, I opened the window, and low and behold, it was coming from one of our hens. At first I thought it was just some kind of chicken talk, but upon further observation, she contiued to make this sound, unless she was pecking at the ground. I just went outside to check on her and she was even making that sound when I picked her up. And I think that I heard a weird snotty nose sound coming out of her head. It's a weird noise that sounds kind of like a broken party horn. Help! What iis it? An upper respiratory infection? She was fine Friday when I was out in the yard with the chickens. I don't know if she was making that noise yesterday because I was stuck in the house cleaning and doing laundry, and then it was off to my brother-in-laws by 5:00. If it is an upper respiratory infection, we have penicillin injectable stil in the fridge from the fall when she was suffering with EYP. Should we treat her with that?

Thanks for your help!

I am not familiar with the effects of penicillan other than it is an antibiotic, but I know that ones like Tylan and other broad spectrum antibiotics have worked for others and me. Good Luck!

Thanks! I haven't gotten many responses to my post.
sad.png
I'm thinking that everyone is experiencing good weather and are working outside, not inside on their computers!
idunno.gif

It may well be a respiratory infection is it sounded like mucus in her airway or nostrils. Another thing to check is her crop, for a balloon-like full squishy crop that doesn't empty by morning. Sometimes throat noises can come from crop contents being in the throat, kind of like when one needs to cough up something. If her crop is empty by early morning, it is probably not the crop. Here is a list of possible respiratory diseases with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much for your reply. By the next morning the hen was as good as new!
celebrate.gif
No weird noises, no snotty nose noises either. I was fussing all night about her, getting on my hubby's nerves. If she had an impacted crop, would it clear up on its own? I would still like to try to figure out what it may have been, just for future reference.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom