Help! Chicken or duck!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poultrymama, Jul 13, 2016.

1. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Alright, I have never hatched chickens before. Only quail and phesant. So I finally talked the hubby into letting me have some poultry in our back yard. I aquired 18 eggs from a farm outside of town. I'm on day 6 and it just hit me that the two white eggs are far larger than the other eggs. Could they possibly be surprise ducks? Significantly heavier too.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    YES those are definitely duck eggs!
    Please post pics when they hatch

BCP

3. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Crap...lol. I just played with them this morning after doing nothing but turning them the last 5 days. I candled them this morning and noticed how much larger and heavier. Will this work for them? I only have the one incubator.

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Yes just turn them every 2 hrs. and they will hatch in 30 days
    How long have they been in the bator?
    The only thing about ducks, is that the egg needs more moisture than a chicken egg. You can take a spray bottle, and fill it with warm water. To keep them moist.

BCP

5. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Another way to tell if it is a duck egg, is the feel of them. Duck eggs are smooth feeling. And have a different smell then chicken eggs.

BCP

6. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    They've been in there 6 days now. I usually candle on day 6 and then day 11 and toss out the ones that weren't fertilized. The eggs look great. I can even see the little baby in there bobbing around. Thanks for the advice. At least now I won't go poking around if they don't pip by day 23.

7. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Glad to help!
    Keep us updated on when the babies hatch! I haven't seen ducklings in so long.

BCP

8. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Absolutely! I've only seen ducklingsat the park. I'm not sure for the lady I got them from mixed duck eggs in though. I wanted 18 chicken eggs.

9. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Could you (just to make sure they are duck eggs) When you go to turn them, put the eggs next to the chicken eggs. So I can see the difference. Thankyou

-BCP

10. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Theyre the only white eggs I got out of them all.let me know if you need another picture[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by