Help! Chicken or duck!?!?

poultrymama

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
Alright, I have never hatched chickens before. Only quail and phesant. So I finally talked the hubby into letting me have some poultry in our back yard. I aquired 18 eggs from a farm outside of town. I'm on day 6 and it just hit me that the two white eggs are far larger than the other eggs. Could they possibly be surprise ducks? Significantly heavier too.

Thanks!

Crap...lol. I just played with them this morning after doing nothing but turning them the last 5 days. I candled them this morning and noticed how much larger and heavier. Will this work for them? I only have the one incubator.

Yes just turn them every 2 hrs. and they will hatch in 30 days
How long have they been in the bator?
The only thing about ducks, is that the egg needs more moisture than a chicken egg. You can take a spray bottle, and fill it with warm water. To keep them moist.

BCP

They've been in there 6 days now. I usually candle on day 6 and then day 11 and toss out the ones that weren't fertilized. The eggs look great. I can even see the little baby in there bobbing around. Thanks for the advice. At least now I won't go poking around if they don't pip by day 23.

Absolutely! I've only seen ducklingsat the park. I'm not sure for the lady I got them from mixed duck eggs in though. I wanted 18 chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom