1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Chicken run has horrible drainage! URGENT

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by safarichick101, Jan 17, 2010.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Their coop is an old barn turned into a chicken coop. Its very sturdy so we didn't have a lot of options when deciding where to put our chicken coop. [​IMG]

Well, we in East Texas have clay soil, so the drainage is horrible. Puddles stay for days and the chickens get their feet wet and gross. I know this can cause disease. Is there some way I can solve this drainage issue?

2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    someone else started a thread on this the other day, do a search for drainage and your have your answers. [​IMG]

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Save all glass bottles and jars and bury them real deep when its dry enough and cover with whatever kind of shells you can obtain. I also use sandy soil in the puddles to raise the level of the ground. Keep raking up lots of leaves and needles to give them something to scratch around in other than mud. If it doesn't work, you might want to consider concrete.

4. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I put down about a yard of Peagravel in my run. That has done a pretty good job though I think I will add some more this spring. I have also added several bags of sand. When we had snow on the ground I put out straw for them so they could come out and not have to stand in the snow. I did not spread that out, I just put it down in clumps and they spread it out quite nicely.[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    see "fix a muddy run" link in my .sig below [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    thanks that was helpful! So basically I just have to get A TON of gravel/sand?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by