HELP! Chicken Scratch - Best Chicken Diet?

wbrr2009

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Please help...I have been reading on this site from a lot of people that you are not to feed your chickens scratch everyday. I had 1 chicken die yesterday and another today and I am wondering if it is because I feed them chicken scratch everyday? I have since they were born. Chicken starter at first and now that they are about 5 months old, they are on scratch feed. I also occasionally give them cantelope and peaches. They live in a large coop.

WHAT IS THE BEST DIET FOR CHICKENS IN A COOP (WATER AND FOOD WISE)?

Scratch? Layer? Pellets??

Electrolytes in water? ACV in water? Oil of Oregeno? HELP!

THANKS!!
hu.gif

Last edited:
A bit of scratch each day is fine. However, it might require a better protein level in your feed. Many companies sell a 18% or 20% protein feed in both Raiser and Layer. Without more details or a necropsy, it would be difficult to tell what, if any, effect diet played in the loss of your bird.

you feed your chickens scratch only? there is nothing wrong with giving them a little scratch everyday but it is not intended to be the sole diet for chickens. i would suggest you start feeding them layer pellets. they have everything a chicken needs. if you want to give them a scoop on scratch everyday as a treat go ahead. of course i would slowly wing them off of the scratch but mixing it in with the layer pellets for a week or so.

i would be surprised if giving them scratch would have killed them. however your chickens may not have as strong of an immune system as they would if they were fed a proper diet designed for them.

my neighbor feeds his chickens a corn only diet, his chickens seem to do fine, but mine seem to grow faster, and look more healthy. so im sticking to layer pellets for my adult flock.

Back
Top Bottom