1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Chicken will not stop setting....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wowmanacat, Aug 28, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have a chicken that will not stop setting so I gave here 8 plastic Easter eggs to set on. In three week I am going to need 6 to 8 chicks to give her. I don't have any eggs to put in the incubator since I don't have a rooster that is doing the job(all to young). So I need help on what to do.
    She has been sitting in the nest for a few days with no eggs and I keep trying to get her out but it is not working, so I am just going to let her sit. I just don't know where to get eggs today to put in my incubator or chicken in three weeks in my area, I can not count on the auction in three weeks for chicks for they may not have any at that time.
    Any help will be great. I live int he northern part of AR.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    try My pet chicken you can order a few and if you adjust your order right you can get them around when you need them to arrive.

3. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Lots of folks sell here on BYC - there's mixes as well as purebreds, and mixed dozens of different purebreds. Talk to the seller before you bid and see what they think their birds will be doing in 3 weeks....

4. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Did you try Farm & Garden on Craigslist?

You do know that chickens don't use calendars, right? As hard as it is for *us* to keep up with how long it's been, she's certainly not going to know if it's a week one way or the other - unless she just gives up on broodiness for a while in general. How long's she been stuck in there?

5. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    She has been doing the off and on for a week but over the last day or so I can not get her off the nest at all. I think I could get her some chicks in say two weeks and that would work.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    No, they have no concept of time, thank heavens!
    I gave one of our Orps 3 day old chicks after she set only 4 days. All are fine together. I would say if you can get chicks at any time in the next few weeks, try to slip them under her at night. I tried one chick first just to see what she would do and when she accepted that one, after few hours I slipped more under her.
    A big thing is making sure the chicks bond to her so get them as young as you can. I have even put eggs a week from hatching under a broody with success because broodies are so much easier than raising chicks yourself!
    Right now there is a hatchery RIR trying to be broody in the coop. I just placed 8 FBCM eggs in front of her to see if she is really serious and tucks them in.

7. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I put the 8 plastic Easter eggs in front of her and they were all under her in about 1 minute. I will see if I can get chicks at the auction next weekend or the week end after that. That is about the best that I can do, unless I find some one close with chicks for sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by