Help, Chicken with broken wing

Wow. This is a comment certainly not rooted in science: "animals don't feel pain like us." Really? Simply because of an animals inability to verbalize sensations does not mean that animal doesn't feel pain. Chickens, like humans, have nervous systems and pain receptors. I'm sorry, but I find it the epitomy of human arrogance to assume that non-human animals don't feel.

I don't believe that compassion should be reserved for only those with the power of speech.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. " Ghandi.​

@ billynkurt: I feel 'epitome of human arrogance' is a little dramatic (it doesn't leave much description for fracking, nuclear waste, GM, etc). Animals have feelings, these are important, but I for one don't parse my posts to make sure I'm giving the right impression. Time to relax on the welfare front? After all most of us are here with that in mind (though we balance it differently in terms of cost etc).
smile.png

To the OP, like others I don't think your bird will spread a disease the others don't already have (if there's any disease there). But I would probably be thinking of culling this bird asap, and as humanely as possible. Sorry to say that as I know it will be distressing to consider.

I just don't see her having a good life, I'm sorry.
sad.png

regards
Erica

All I'm saying is that the claim that animals don't feel pain like humans is unsupported by science. Humans have justified cruelty to animals by such claims. And yes, humans are a pretty inhumane species. But some of us do try to transcend our species lesser qualities.

That being said, my 8 week old Light Brahma had her humerus broken when my basset hound, Duncan, both got a little excited. And yes, I know, some might say that we should have culled her. But, we chose not to. After a little surgery by an avian vet she is going to be just fine. And her eggs better be golden.

:p

:) I completely agree! My hens do lay golden eggs. I am taking a hen to the vet tomorrow for a possible broken leg. I would not do it any other way!! If I have pets, they are getting the best possible care that I can provide!

Back
Top Bottom