Help. Chicken with diarrhea

FlyingC

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
Hello. I recently got 4 Wyandottes. I quarantined for 2 weeks, they were fine, so let them into the flock. After 1 week, one of the hens got diarrhea. I quarantined her again, and for a 3 days I had for force food and water. She's been eating and drinking on her own for the last four days, but after a week of corrid treatment she still has diarrhea. Is there something else I need to do?

Hello. I recently got 4 Wyandottes. I quarantined for 2 weeks, they were fine, so let them into the flock. After 1 week, one of the hens got diarrhea. I quarantined her again, and for a 3 days I had for force food and water. She's been eating and drinking on her own for the last four days, but after a week of corrid treatment she still has diarrhea. Is there something else I need to do?
How old are the birds? Many things can cause diarrhea in birds. Too name a few things: Stress, lots of water being drank, poor diet, Salmonella, Coccidiosis[in juvenile birds].

The person I got her from said she is about a year old. It could be stress from being relocated, then quarantined away from the flock, but seems like that would resolve in a week..

The person I got her from said she is about a year old. It could be stress from being relocated, then quarantined away from the flock, but seems like that would resolve in a week..
It takes time for birds that have been moved from home too another to get situated, & comfortable. Sometimes it takes a month, or two.

Get Corid today.

Okay, I kind of figured birds over a year would be immune to the parasite after exposure as a chick.
If that bird never leaves the land and NO other birds ever come to that particular land then it probably will be immune.

This bird above is at a new place, correct?
Makes a huge difference.

No it's not. Any age bird can pick up a new to them strain of coccidia at any time.
There are different strains which does make sense, & I've been really tired lately, & a bit sleep deprived due to my sister's new kitten waking us up really early in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom