HELP! Chicken with extreme injuries

Lextaylor

Hatching
Sep 29, 2019
3B15638B-11FB-4B2E-8012-B15B95CC130E.jpeg
FF9D6BEE-8C58-41DE-896F-57250336783C.jpeg
My dad accidentally ran over my chicken with the lawnmower, she has an extreme wound around her back between her wings. There seems to be an organ exposed and large lacerations around it but no signs of internal bleeding or damage to the organ. She’s drinking water and breathing fine and doesn’t seem to be in pain. Is there anything I can do to help her survive ?

Last edited:
View attachment 1921299 View attachment 1921300 My dad accidentally ran over my chicken with the lawnmower, she has an extreme wound around her back between her wings. There seems to be an organ exposed and large lacerations around it but no signs of internal bleeding or damage to the organ. Is there anything I can do to help her survive ?
I am so sorry that this happened. :hugs:hugs Really. But I would euthanize that poor girl. There comes a time when one must consider not the "can I" treat this bird but the "should I". As in, what is best for the animal?

Last edited:
If you are determined, she will need a vet for sure. There really is no at home fix for that.
Also, pinch her toes to assess spinal function- if she pulls back or reacts, she still has sensation and likely an intact spinal cord, and just needs to be sewn up. If you get no reaction at all, she may have a spinal injury, in which case, its probably kinder to let her go.
Next, you need to see if her vent is intact.
It looks very awful, but if it's all superficial, a vet might be able to repair it. But, I repeat, this is not an injury you can deal with on your own.

As much as I hate to say it she might need to be put to sleep. Thats a pretty serious wound and your heart is in the right place but it would take forever to heal and the risk of infection that close to the organs is horrible. Theres muscle exposed so even if the wound was to heal she probably wouldn't have the same muscle movement. Im not sure anyone here can help you with it.

Back
Top Bottom