Help!! Chicken with injured eye not eating or drinking.

my local feed store has a spray that you can spray on injuries including eye. My one surviving hen after a raccoon attack was bloody and one eye was shut for almost a week, Internal injuries were also possible in that her balance was off and she was not moving around. The spray kept way any infection. I had her isolated in small coop kept warm and dry. She did not eat for several days. I was worried. Then she finally came out of the nesting box and now 3months later shes walking almost normally and is with my one surviving roo for the past two weeks.

So pleased to hear that little ginger is taking her first few steps in the right direction :)
Well done to you both - I hope she starts eating properly soon but until then just keep on doing what you're doing !

The positive outcome from nursing some chickens is the wonderful bond that forms. They seem to know you are trying to help them and in my experience it has resulted in some truly amazing moments.

Best wishes xx

Well, I have exciting news!!! Ginger started eating on her own 2 nights ago, and yesterday spent the day roaming the yard with the other 3. They seemed almost protective of her. (Maybe I am crazy!) At sunset they all walked back to the coop together, my leghorn even came back for her a couple of times since she is a little slower now. This morning when I let them out Ginger seemed happy to be back with the other girls. Shabana, you are definitely right about the bond! Thank you all for your wisdom, stories, and advice!

I'm so glad to read that Ginger recovered well. And I'm glad to come across this post.
I was concerned that my rooster hasn't really eaten anything in almost 3 days. He does drink pretty good. His eye was injured in a predator attack. He has maintained energy and is most happy when I take him outside to be with his girls. But the not eating part was really concerning me. I'm hoping his eye recovers.
Reading through your post and the responses gave me some idea of what to expect and how long for recovery time. Thank you.
The photos below are of Tubby on day one and day two (today looks the same as yesterday). In the first pic, his eye was really swollen and shut tight. In the second photo, the swelling had gone down a lot and his eyelid was open as far as to his inner eyelid. I've been spraying Vetericyn HydroGel for wounds and infection on him.

Oh what a poor guy. He looks pretty sore. You might want to make sure that his nostrils are clear of any blood, so it doesn't close them off. Offer him some soft scrambled egg and some chicken feed moist with water. If he won't eat those, then you will need to consider tube feeding him. Since he is drinking, you can give him some vitamin /probiotics in his water--feed stores usually have the rooster booster brand, oor you could try some Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench. Buttermilk is good for probiotics as well. Here is a link to other links on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Back
Top Bottom