HELP CHICKEN WITH MUCUS IN MOUTH..

Sorry about your hen. How does her beak smell? Have you had any fowl pox in your flock? As others have said, these kinds of lesions inside the beak can be from the wet form of fowl pox, canker (a protozoan infection,) but unfortunately can be a malignancy. The white color kind of look like that unfortunately. But it is a good sign that she is eating a little better. I would follow @casportpony ‘s advice on asking the vet about the Baytril for a bacteria or the metronidazole for possible canker. She has more experience than I do with these things. Unfortunately if it is indeed cancer or malignancy, it will become apparent soon.

I've seen stuff like this before, and with mine, it's been wet pox several times in 2013, canker in two pigeons (never in a chicken), and in several it's been cancer.

Call the vet and ask if they will prescribe some Baytril in case it's bacterial, and metronidazole in case it's canker.

Ok but do I give her both at the same time then?? Also a few months ago my other hen indeed had a case of dry foul pox. I don't know if it could take this long to then develop as the wet form in Daisy?? Is that possible?? I only have the 2 hens. Daisy acts as though she's starving but wouldn't eat at all until we started her on the pain medicine and Bactrim. (She had 3 days of Doxycycline BTW before the Bactrim, after it was suggested by another BYC member.)
Thank you for your help and I will call the vet tomorrow and just pray he'll give me these 2 meds.. I'm sure you know how these vets are.... they don't want to be told what to do on anything!! 😭😭😭

Again thank you very much for your time!!

Sorry about your hen. How does her beak smell? Have you had any fowl pox in your flock? As others have said, these kinds of lesions inside the beak can be from the wet form of fowl pox, canker (a protozoan infection,) but unfortunately can be a malignancy. The white color kind of look like that unfortunately. But it is a good sign that she is eating a little better. I would follow @casportpony ‘s advice on asking the vet about the Baytril for a bacteria or the metronidazole for possible canker. She has more experience than I do with these things. Unfortunately if it is indeed cancer or malignancy, it will become apparent soon.

Thanks for writing. Yes indeed my Black Australorp did have fowl pox a few months ago but was just the dry form on her comb etc. What's so odd about all this is that it all began with her left cheek swollen and her eye closed!! We applied Terramycin oint at the instruction of a mobile vet I called and the swelling went down and the eye opened in about 3 to 4 days. THEN is when we noticed she wasn't eating and she had a thin string of mucus hanging from her beak when she just attempted to eat?? Then it went away for 2 days then the 3rd day I noticed that string of mucus again and the next day AGAIN it was gone and is still gone to date!!?? Now what we have is the lesion in her mouth and her eating only very very little!! Today she drank ALOT of water!! She also picked at the dry crumbles rather than the wet mash with baby food and nutri drench mixed in it??
Thank you so much for your time!!

THANK YOU to all that have come forward with some advice. I have called the vet and asked for the Baytril and Metronidazole. However he's not there again until Monday!! I asked if any of the other vets could prescribe it but they would not of course.
Daisy today, in my opinion is a bit worse. I say this because she was eating a little of the wet mash with baby food and vitamin mixed in it. However today I go outside and she's just laying in front of the chicken feed bowl just pecking around in the food and throwing it out the way she loves to do.. but she isn't really eating it. She does get a piece or two of the crumbles in her mouth and it appears as though she is eating it but that's hardly enough food for her. I made her wet mash with baby food and brought it out to her but she refused to even look at it as she's fixated on the bowl of chicken crumble feed??
I went ahead and tube fed her this morning first thing with a little baby food, her pain med, the Bactrim and some Nutri Drench all mixed together in hopes it'll get her going today?? But so far nothing. We have just opened the porch door leading to the backyard so they can go scratch and dig and maybe she'll feel a little better.. but I've not seen either her or Ebby go out as of yet. They are both laying at the far end of the porch beside the coop where it's a little more isolated which worries me. Ebby is also back there however?? They normally like to lay just outside the French doors in the kitchen so they can look inside. I'm so afraid she is just getting weaker and weaker and is possibly starting to give up?? The hardest thing I'll ever have to do in life is to watch a sick pet slowly drifting away and you have no clue as to what to do to save them.

BTW there is a product that came highly recommended to me not only for Daisy but for all our family as well. It is a type of algae that brings oxygen to the cells creating new, healthy cells?? She had a cat with cancer of the ear and said it was spread over his face and he had a large tumor on the top of his head. She said she began giving him this and all the cancer just disappeared and the tumor on his head just literally fell off!!?? I know that sounds rather insane but this lady swears it happened!! Soooooooooo I have gone ahead and ordered it and I'm going to give some to Daisy as well as my husband and I are going to take it!! I am also going to spray her beak with the colloidal silver. Hey we have nothing to lose?? Neither of these things is going to hurt her... so why not!!

I'm trying to post a link to this supplement but can't seem to get it on here? I'll try a different way.

Screenshot_20200827-205352_Messenger.jpg

Ok so there is the info on this product.

Hello to all

I finally talked to the vet and asked him for Baytril and Metronidazole and he informed me that they are ILLEGAL to give to any potentially meat animal??? WTH???
He proceeded to tell me that the Bactrim is "just as good and will do anything the Baytril will do"!!! DUH UGH I'M SO MAD!! Then he tells me nothing is going to work anyway for "CANCER"!!!!!! Can you believe this guy??? How is he making this diagnosis without even taking a biopsy or running any kind of tests??? Lord I wish we had a good chicken vet here!!!
Daisy is active.. still running around outside with Ebby my other chicken. However she's still eating only very little.
She mainly sits in front of the feed bowl like she is expecting something to happen. She has taken a couple pieces here and there but not enough to survive on. I'm making her wet mash and she's only taken a bite or two of that and then goes right back to the dry feed bowl. I just received the Colloidal silver yesterday and I'm putting a teaspoon in the large waterer and I'm also spraying it onto the lesions in her mouth. I don't know what else to do. Besides being feathers and bone, poor angel, she pretty much acts like normal except for the fact that she can't eat much. Oh she does go for mashed up watermelon and eats some of that.
Anyway can anyone at all PLEASE tell me if there is ANY way to get some Baytril for her?? In it meantime she's on the Bactrim the dumb vet ordered for her along with the pain med.
I NEED BAYTRIL!! I REALLY WANT TO TRY IT?? DOES ANYONE ON HERE HAVE ANY THEY CAN SELL ME?? PLEASE??
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

@casportpony any ideas???
@Eggcessive???

Oh my goodness thank you so much for telling me where I can get these meds!! I honestly thought there was just no hope at all!!! I will order them both right now however I have two questions please??

1. What is the dose for each of these? Daisy has lost so much weight she's down to approx. 3.5lbs!! So how much of each would I give her and how often??

2. Can I give them both together and just stop the Bactrim??

PLEASE let me know these 2 things cause I have no idea on either question.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR YOUR HELP!!

Oh my goodness thank you so much for telling me where I can get these meds!! I honestly thought there was just no hope at all!!! I will order them both right now however I have two questions please??

1. What is the dose for each of these? Daisy has lost so much weight she's down to approx. 3.5lbs!! So how much of each would I give her and how often??

2. Can I give them both together and just stop the Bactrim??

PLEASE let me know these 2 things cause I have no idea on either question.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR YOUR HELP!!
10% Baytril dose is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.

Metronidazole is 60mg/kg or 30mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.

Is she improving with the Bactrim? How many days do you have left?
I would be inclined to finish the course of Bactrim since it's been started - hopefully it will help her while you wait on the other medications to arrive.

As far as I know, you can use Baytril with Metronidazole.

Back
Top Bottom