Help. Chicken won't open eyes or stand.

Pics

Dnonya

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2017
Found my hen laying in the middle of her yard when I went to put them in their coop for the cold night. She won't open her eyes. Barely moves. Is breathing but for the most part will just lay on her side. Her feet are cold. I have her under a heat lamp to warm her. She's about 11 or 12 weeks old. I don' know what could be wrong. Please anyone?

You're definitely doing the right thing by keeping her warm for now. How cold is it outside? What breed is she? You might want to see if she has any interest in food or water, and then put some electrolytes in the water if she does. You can also mix the food with a little bit of water, they tend to like that a little more.

This is all pretty general sick chicken care, though. It doesn't get too cold where I live, so I don't know that much about whether or not she could have gotten too cold.:confused: Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon! Good luck! :fl

It was about 50 degrees when we found her. I' still unsure of what breed she is. We got her as a chick from tractor supply and the worker had them all mixed and Hadent a clue. She won't wake for water I've tried that thus far. Her feet are warm now and she moved them when I pet her. But she is still with her eyes closed laying on her side. We have 5 others her age and different breeds. They are all seemingly fine. Thank you for your reply diamondsilkies

1511070912808325257258.jpg

Ok, 50 degrees isn't that cold since she's fully feathered unless she got wet & caught a draft? Keep her warm, try getting Nutri Drench to give her - Drop by drop on the beak or try dipping her beak but don't squirt down her throat & don't get it in her nostrils.

There as an article earlier today, how to feed liquid with a syringe...Open the beak towards the right of the trachea stick the syringe down & squirt. But if you're not sure, dipping the beak or drip drops at the tip of her beak, so but better than aspirating. You can also mix her food with plain yogurt but keeping her hydrated is top priority.

How has her poop been? What are you feeding? Assuming all's been well with her until you found her in that condition today.....Any other signs of illness?

Anyone else..... @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @aart @Beekissed @Ravynscroft

Back
Top Bottom