HELP! Chicken wounded

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by singlin, Nov 11, 2009.

1. singlin

singlin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    Hi,
    One of our chickens has some kind of wound/injury on the back of her neck. She is losing feathers in that area. Not sure when it happened. Seems fine. Eating and laying like clock work. I don't have a picture/ camera is broken.
    Any ideas?
    They are in a coop at night and out in a large fenced area during the day. We have 2 hens and one rooster along with on undetermined sex yet! It isn't crowing or laying. She (and our other hen) are about 8mo the rooster and other are about 5mo. Do you think they are doing this to her?
    How do I clean it? What do I look for? HELP!

Staci

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Sounds like it could be your roo. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets red and bloody, at that point they'll all start pecking at it. One roo with two hens can be problematic, especially with a young roo the hens can get overbred and pretty beat up. If you can give the hens plenty of roosting spots out in their run to get away from the roo that may help otherwise you'll probably have to seperate him--or get more hens [​IMG]

Hopefully he'll be more of a gentleman when he gets a little older.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
  4. singlin

singlin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    thank you! I put peroxide on it and put her in the dog crate for the night. What do I do with my roo then? They all share a coop. We have coyotes. Do I build him his own? Keeping him away during the day is easy but it is at night that I can't control.
    Thanks!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Hi - hope your hen will be okay! Peroxide - important to dilute with water. A vet recommended to me cleansing with 1 part betadine to 9 parts water.
    If the skin is broken you can apply topical neosporin (without the pain ingredient)
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by