HELP!! Chickens ate styrofoam!!!**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Hi everyone. Im freaking out. I got out today and I must have dropped a styrofoam egg carton in the coop (egg cartons are stored in a bin while not being used in a chicken house.)

Well I got back out and my little bantams all had HUGE crops and have of the styrofoam egg carton was GONE!! What should I do? I know styrofoam doesnt break down but is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance!!

I am no expert, but chickens eat a lot of weird things.. so... I think you just have to wait it out and see if it passes.. maybe massage their crops?

Give them some buttermilk, yogurt -- maybe some oatmeal or whole grain bread for extra fiber with the probiotics?

Best of luck.

Last year I had put pink foam board up in my coop ceiling to hold heat in. Well all of a sudden I noticed they had pecked and eaten a significant amount of it. I removed it, all my chickens are still with me. They seem pretty tough!

Mine have done that before. I also found a teeny piece of styrofoam in one of my duck's eggs once
sickbyc.gif
so I try to make sure there's none where they can get to it.

Styrofoam is like chicken crack. They cannot resist it.

My flock has destroyed a lot of Styrofoam packing material. I don't think any have died of it.

There cannot be one single piece of Styrofoam packing material loose on the floor in my house. If there is, a chicken will get into the house and will find it.

Yeah, one of my girls eats white paint. Anywhere she finds it, she pecks at it and eats it. I also had some plastic trim I was putting up on their coop and they ate some of that too. They're like that little kid in elementary school who always at the paste!

YOU COULD TRY PUTING A LITTLE OF OLIVE OIL DOWN INTO THE CROOP, PERHAPS THAT WILL KEEP THINGS MOVING PROPERLY. Good lUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom