HELP, Chickens attacked, one survivor

If she was in a lot of pain she would be unlikely to eat and drink, even with your help. Sadly it is sounding more like Marek's from reading this post. Whilst she is keen to eat and drink and you are willing to help her and clean her up, there is hope with neurological Marek's. I have supported one that was nest bound for weeks and eventually made enough of a recovery to return to free ranging with the flock. I only euthanize them once they lose interest in food.

Yes I guess you are right, I will continue until it is clear that she has given up, but your post about yours recovering after weeks gives me hope - Thank you

Mine was so incapacitated I twice set a date to euthanize her and each time the day arrived she was still bright eyed and keen to eat and I couldn't do it...... it is hard enough to end it for the ones that have given up and their system is shutting down, but one in particular whose second outbreak it was, coped very well with her confinement and was always eager to see what special treats I had brought her and tolerated being cleaned up pretty well and once we got a little sunshine I would put her out in a large cage on the grass and scatter scratch in and around the cage so that the rest of the flock came and foraged around her for a half an hour here and there when the weather allowed and that was when things started to turn around. It was fortunate that it timed with the arrival of spring, so the weather improved as she did or vice versa. As long as they are still eating there is hope.

Yes, Victoria, is still alert and this evening I made scrambled egg and put the dish in her box, went to get a spoon to help feed it to her and came back and she was busy chowing down the lot without my assistance, I couldn't believe it! I tried with water but because she can't tilt her head back to swallow water herself she failed but she was trying to drink it herself, I am so happy! :fl I will update tomorrow, many yhanks for everyones contributions x

Only downside is she lost her friends so is alone and even when I do buy more, they will be in quaranteen so I feel bad she is lonely, hope that doesn't have a negative effect on her.

Until you can get her some friends, be sure to give her lots of social interaction from yourself. Chickens are social, but they're also domesticated, which means they get on well with humans.

Ooooh I have such good news today, Victoria has made a full recovery!!! I was really beginning to give up hope she would ever recover as yesterday she was exactly the same as she has been for the last few days, still having to help her feed and cleaning her up etc, but went in to see her this morning and she was sat on her roost clucking happily and jumped down to see what food I had brought her and ate and drank normally and walking around the coop as though nothing had ever been wrong with her. Thank you everyone for your support as I was so close to culling the day she was attacked!:love:wee:thumbsup:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom