HELP!!!!! Chickens Eating There Own Eggs

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hello,
Ok, so I am not sure that this should be under emergencies but I was not sure what else to put it under! So I HAVE figured out what I did wrong, but my chickens are still trying to eat the inside of there eggs! I have heard that putting fake eggs in there coop helps, but I am not sure that it completely rids them of this habit. Does anybody else have any suggestions? Thank you!

Hello,
Ok, so I am not sure that this should be under emergencies but I was not sure what else to put it under! So I HAVE figured out what I did wrong, but my chickens are still trying to eat the inside of there eggs! I have heard that putting fake eggs in there coop helps, but I am not sure that it completely rids them of this habit. Does anybody else have any suggestions? Thank you!
Collect eggs as frequently as possible. The fake eggs sometimes help, the less times they get rewarded for pecking their eggs the less they may do it. If you don't mind culling the egg eaters you could do that. (I personally wouldn't because I love all my girls). If nothing else works, you could buy some roll away nest boxes so once the eggs are layed, they roll out of reach! Good luck!

Last edited:
Collect eggs as frequently as possible. The fake eggs sometimes help, the less times they get rewarded for pecking their eggs the less they may do it. If you don't mind culling the egg eaters you could do that. (I personally wouldn't because I love sll my girls). If nothing else works, you could buy some roll away nest boxes so once the eggs are layed, they roll out of reach! Good luck!
Yes! Better than I could have worded it!

Yes! Better than I could have worded it!
Collect eggs as frequently as possible. The fake eggs sometimes help, the less times they get rewarded for pecking their eggs the less they may do it. If you don't mind culling the egg eaters you could do that. (I personally wouldn't because I love sll my girls). If nothing else works, you could buy some roll away nest boxes so once the eggs are layed, they roll out of reach! Good luck!
What they said. :D

I saw a new egg laying on the floor of the Coop not in the nest box ,and my Girls just pecked it open before I even could reach it :eek:.
So how did it work for you what helped?

Well, truth of the matter is I am asking for a friend who had chickens with this problem so I am not sure how it worked. I have some other friends that put fake eggs in the coop and they say that that helps. Also, if you are feeding the egg shells back to them make sure to cook them before you do otherwise they will learn to like egg. Sorry, that was not much of and answer!

I exchange egg with fake eggs . As soon one of the girl are in the nest box I am watching the Coop . She steps out I am on the Nest to swap the egg.I really hope that helps ,soon I have to go back to work so not much time to stalk a whole bunch of flighty Gals

Yesterday I had 4 eggs out of 5 hens between 3 fake eggs per nestbox. And I was not here the whole Day .:celebrateSo I conclude fake eggs work . I used by the way the cheap plastik Easter eggs from Bargain shop.

Hello,
A few of my chickens, just when I got them from my neighbor, ate eggs; it quickly went away when we started to give them some extra protein (cooked fish) and it hasn't happened since. Try that, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom