HELP!! Chickens pecking each other around the vent!

flyboy1873

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
I have 6 Buff Orpingtons and when I got home today 4 out of the six had blood around their vents and were missing feathers. I immediately separated the two perpatrators and then checked each of the 4. 3 out of the 4 were bloody but should heal no problem. One hen is in pretty bad shape. I separated her by herself and have her plenty of food and water. She keeps arching her back to where her back is almost vertical instead of horizontal like she is trying to get something out. I felt her vent and didnt feel an egg. Not sure what to do. I think that I am going to give her over night to see how she does but not sure then when to put her down. I don't want her to suffer. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Yes the one straining may have been attacked close to her laying time. She may benefit from a hot water bottle wrapped in rags or a heating pad protected with the same. No bath yet if she is injured, but it might be an option of she is indeed eggbound, later. Also, check your birds for parasites in case that is what triggered the pecking.

Thanks to both of you for the reply. Unfortunately the one hen was egg bound and it was to the point that we couldnt help her so at the advise of a vet we put her down. Since then we lost another. It has been 2 weeks and the remaining 4 are still alive and well. I just had to separate the two bullies again as they started pecking the other two. The seperation is working. Not sure what I am going to end up doing as I can't keep them separated forever. Have either of you heard of using pine tar as a method of preventing pecking? I am worried that it would never come off of the birds!

The same thing happened to me. I have a mixed flock and 5 beautiful white rock hens. I lost 2 a day apartm were pecked to death, with huge wounds in the vent area. And had to rescue a 3rd that was close to death. I took the remaining white rocks out and it took over a month to heal poor Millies wound. I have since reintroduced the 3 of them into the flock again and it has been a month and so far so good. Good luck!

Hello - Gail Damerow in Storey's Guide to Chickens says to use kelp meal to help prevent feather-picking and cannibalism -- the salts seem to satisfy a craving otherwise for blood! Also, make sure that you have a RED light on in the coop if you use a light in there. White light seems to stress them out more. Good luck!!

does anybody use those plastic glasses i call them that you put thru the nostrils? We just ot then and did not try yet, we are "chickens'
smile.png
!
how do they work? we have lots of pecking going too
tried everything, seams they just want to roam, by we collecting eggs and can't let them out
any suggestios?

Back
Top Bottom