Help! Chicks 5 1/2 weeks acting crazy

You are almost done with their coop, that is a little over 1 sq' each so you will be fine until the weekend. And they could be calmer just with out the heat lamp. I give my birds a lot of dark time. The parrot in my Avatar is 25 years old and she likes 13 hours of dark/night. Your birds will be better when they go out to the coop if you have them a little cooler from now until then. They look healthy! I doubt they could have any parasites since they have not been outside yet. Wild birds carry such things as lice and other problems. I like to give my chicks grass and dirt from the beginning, just to build up their immunity. They never get to live in my dining room! I am giving up my she shed for the brooder. I used to use my 2-car garage, but now we only have a carport. I found a cardboard corral in the attached garage was good, because I could make it bigger as the chicks got bigger. But that was in Southern Cal, and always summer. I never needed heat more than about 3 weeks in warm June weather. You are very dedicated to have them inside so long!:bow Now you have to cut the apron strings, Mom!:)

Attachments

• D5B47FC4-6EF1-43B9-8EB7-3795462E540C.jpeg
    D5B47FC4-6EF1-43B9-8EB7-3795462E540C.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 10
that calmed them down a lot! Poor girls are probably needing things to do! I gave grass in both ends so they split up in groups to check it out.. there were a few bonus earthworms in there-that was fun!

The coop is 120 sqft? What about the brooder?

at 5 1/2 weeks I would go ahead and transfer them already.

Back
Top Bottom