Help - Chicks Died

Chez22

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Hi,
I am a first time hatcher. Got a small incubator, put eggs in, got 1 chick which survived now nearly 2 weeks old, the next chick lived for 2-3days, the older chick pecked at it then I found it dead?? Next chick was a week later & only lasted 2 days & the first chick pecked it too. Not sure if the older chick killed them or if I did something wrong?? Help please.

The older chick probably killed it. Unless your chicks are within a couple of days difference in age, you run the risk of the older, stronger chicks killing the youngsters. The chick gets pecked, a little blood get drawn and it gets ugly.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Can I check temperatures etc. with you??
Our incubator is at 37oC then the brooder is an old reptile cage with a light at about 26oC. I have left the chick in the incubator for a few hours (not quite dry) then put it in the brooder. It seemed to be fine but last night seemed to have no energy. We gave it some sugar water and it seemed to come good a little. I checked on it in the middle of the night but it would not take any more water.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom