HELP!! CHICKS DYING AFTER SHIPPING :(

I did get the good stuff from the feed store.

The chicks came from Gordie Sternweis out of Marshfield, WI. Some of you should know about him from the post on here.

They were born on Saturdayor Sunday and shipped out Monday evening. I got them this morning at 7:15. He said he put chicks starter and an hard boiled egg in there with them, but I did not see much of anything.

I am so sorry about your new little chicks you have lost.
sad.png

That seems like a long time to sit in the Box without Food or water, so maybe it was severe stress? Everything I have read says the chick can only survive up to 3 days without food or water because of the yolk they absorb only lasts that long? I am no expert though....

When I ordered from a hatchery, I also called my PO Master to let them know my chicks were coming so I could pick them up at the downtown PO. Still, I kept calling every morning I thought they might be there & I seemed to get them earlier than waiting for the PO to call me. Hope some of this help a little. I would definitely contact the hatchery about this though.
hit.gif

Yes Gordie is NPIP certified if that is what you mean. He is able to ship adult birds, chicks and hatching eggs anywhere in the US.

Hopefully they will pull thru...see my other post on Gordie. Sometimes the PO employees are good about shaking up the boxes so hard for kicks to hear them scream or they can drop kick the boxes as well. A friend who used to work at the USPS told me this and she was disgusted the way they treated shipped animals. She reported it to her supervisor but nothing was done to repremain the suspects and they still continue to do so after she left. I ought to smack them to see how they LIKE it if they were those chicks being shipped.

I don't know what happen to these little guys but it was bad!!! It box did not really look that bad. But looks can be deceiving.

I have 4 of the 12 still alive. 2 of the 4 I don't see pulling through.

The other two are eating and drinking, but I have only seen the strongest one poop. I checked the vent and it all clear.

They are laying down flat on there belly to sleep. Is that normal?

Anyway thank you all for the info and support. I will keep everyone informed as it goes on.

O by the way I did start giving the last 4 eggs yolks also.

I started out giving them sugar in there water. But was a little worried about it so stopped that and got the electrolytes and vitamins from the feed store.

First time I heard milk and sugar for them.

I'm honestly shocked someone that has been apparently doing this for so long would send chicks past day olds. I'd say that is probably where the problem lies, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom