Help! Chicks dying at hatch

cluckylady812

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
Fremont county Colorado
Please help. I have 3 broody bantams on nests. Eggs have been to hatch yesterday. One chick found dead, one severely wounded. Brought in the injured, last night but it passed this morning.
Checking the coop first thing today, found two more dead chicks, one partially hatched. Brought in the partial, he hatched inside and seems to be doing well.
I dont know which bird is killing these poor things at hatch.
I removed all the eggs, put several under a couple broody hens in the other coop, that are not on fertile eggs, and brought the rest inside under the heat lamp by the brooder.
Temp us 99 humidity 40%, I'm in Colorado, I got it up to 40% from 20% with a damp cloth on the side.
What can I do to improve the chance of these eggs hatching?
Last hatch were all done by mama hen w/ no issues.

I'm so sorry about your chicks! Where you are finding the dead and injured ones, have you used these moms before? Also, are the moms separated from the flock in a crate or fenced off? It could be the mom doing it. I had a first time mom do that before. She killed her baby, bloody head. It could be another hen, trying to lay in that nest box, I had half developed eggs broken that way before I took over the incubating part and gave the chicks to the moms afterward. If the eggs are due to hatch now, you need to get your humidity much higher than 40% or squeeze them in under a hen to finish hatching. You need at least 60-65%.

I dont have an incubator, I've gotten humidity up to 45% room air is only about 9% today.. Its a high desert climate, 45% is actually a big deal lol. I know it need to be much much higher, but I've no idea how to get it there. I've listened to the eggs with a stethoscope, I can hear movement. I dont have room under my broodies, I filled them.
And yes, these are first time moms. Last time too.

Oh dear, I see your problem. I wonder if you could put them inside a gallon zip lock bag with a few holes poked in it and a wet sponge or cloth in there to jump the humidity up to act as a make shift incubator.
Hopefully someone that has been in this situation will chime in.

OK, I moved them into an empty drawer with glass on top, propped open a bit to control heat, watching temp closely, added a second damp cloth as well as a tiny dish of water to try and boost humidity. Thank you all for the advice! I'll keep you posted.
The one chick that hatched this morning still seems to be doing OK.

Humidity is up to 60%.... Lid almost closed, temp right around 100'. Praying the slight fluctuations in temp doesn't kill them. Geez this is why I dont hatch, mama birds usually do such a good job, and its much easier on my nerves lol. :fl

I am glad your chick is still doing good. Hopefully, your contraption will work. It seems to be working for that one so far. You'll just have to keep a close eye on it and keep it as close as you can. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom