Help. Chicks dying half out of shell...

I look for the air sack both sides nothing, then I saw your website and it said you should lower it so I did,to 45% ish then I looked on another website because mines strafoam and it said 60% sorry I'm really mixed up here.

I use styrofoam and actually most styrofoam bators work best at lower humidity, but the trick is, let the air cells guide you. That's what matters, no matter what the numbers say the air cell and moisture loss is the point of controlling humidity.

I use styrofoam and actually most styrofoam bators work best at lower humidity, but the trick is, let the air cells guide you. That's what matters, no matter what the numbers say the air cell and moisture loss is the point of controlling humidity.

So I really want the air sack growing I'm at day seven, so I should lower it to 45% about that or lower?

You won't see the air cell if you candle from the small end. In the second pic where the light is shinning bright, that should be the air cell, but your hand covers it. The other two pics it appears you are candling from the small end, and that will not light the air cell so you can see it. So I can't really say the air cell is small, cause you can't tell in the pics.
Personally, I would never suggest higher than 45% humidity to anyone not in a high elevation incubating standard chicken eggs without the air cells pointing to needing a higher humidity. I prefer 30% and monitoring my air cells.

Hi! I have been reading along here...I am setting up to hatch in a hovabor, circulated air. I noticed you mentioned higher humidity for those incubating at a higher elevation? I am at 6500 feet and we are still cool and dry. My incubator runs at 20% with no water...Should I run at higher humidity than 30%? I am setting eggs tomorrow
smile.png

Hi! I have been reading along here...I am setting up to hatch in a hovabor, circulated air. I noticed you mentioned higher humidity for those incubating at a higher elevation? I am at 6500 feet and we are still cool and dry. My incubator runs at 20% with no water...Should I run at higher humidity than 30%? I am setting eggs tomorrow :)

High elevation hatching can have a myriad of problems. None of which I'm overly versed in..lol but yes, generally high elevations need higher humidity. High elevation is the one circumstance I don't recommend the low humidity methods. This is normally what I share for high elevation hatchers:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2908/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes/

High elevation hatching can have a myriad of problems. None of which I'm overly versed in..lol but yes, generally high elevations need higher humidity. High elevation is the one circumstance I don't recommend the low humidity methods. This is normally what I share for high elevation hatchers:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2908/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes/
Thank you! This info makes sense. I hatch in my classroom each year and until I moved up here...my bators had hatched successfully for years. Last year was my first attempt up here and did not go well. I will definitely try higher humidity this time and watch my aircells closely!

Thank you! This info makes sense. I hatch in my classroom each year and until I moved up here...my bators had hatched successfully for years. Last year was my first attempt up here and did not go well. I will definitely try higher humidity this time and watch my aircells closely!

Oh! Good luck! Are you using local eggs laid at the altitude you're hatching at?

Back
Top Bottom