HELP! Chicks just hatched ~ how do I separate feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Digger's my fav, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Digger's my fav

Digger's my fav Hatching

Jun 22, 2009
    Chambersburg
    My hens just hatched chicks. How do you separate the feed, starter vs layer? Or does it matter? I am a complete novice, if you can't tell already.

2. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Well, at this point I have 1 chick with 1 hen, so I have been giving starter mash and grower feed. Basically the way I see it, the hen is not "laying" right now, so just regaining weight and health is what she needs. If there is a little crumb of the grower, it is not going to harm your babies.
    Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hens do fine on starter or grower. Chicks should not eat layer.

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hey Kim! I'm so glad you joined BYC. [​IMG] I also feed the momma's chick feed when they have chicks. It has the right amount of protein to gain back the weight she lost while she was sitting on her eggs.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    No layer for the momma so if they are in the coop with other chickens, you'll need to separate them.

6. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I wouldnt trust this advice unless someone a bit more experienced backs it up BUT..

I heard Hens shouldnt eat medicated starter. Not sure if that was because its bad for them, or it gets in the eggs.

But I also heard that if chicks grow up under a broody instead of in an incubator/brooder that they dont need medicated starter.

So on that logic, you could feed them both unmedicated starter feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: