Help! Chicks may be too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RachelVT, May 18, 2010.

1. RachelVT

RachelVT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    So I just got 5 "mutt" chicks today they are around 1 week old. The lady I got them from said they did NOT need to be under heat any longer. Well after reading post here I thought I should put them under just in case. At first they seemed to be doing really well with the heat but now seem to be staying away from ten light. Does that mean they are too hot? I tried moving the light away yet they are still clumped together. Should I just turn it off?

Thanks so much for any advice!
    [​IMG][​IMG] I am worried. First time chick mom

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they are staying as far away from the light as possible, sometimes holding their little wings out and panting, they are too hot.

3. Tikka

Tikka Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    If they are clumped together, they are cold. If they spread out, they are too hot. I'm not sure why they would clump together not under the light. How far away is the light? Chicks without a mom need a heat lamp. In theory, they need to be 95 degrees with 5 degrees less per week.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you have a thermometer, put that directly under the light. It would be good if the temp was around 80 degrees.......raise the light until you get the right temp! PRESTO! All is good!

5. RachelVT

RachelVT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    That is what I thought but the farmer I got they from said the did nit need it and fact they Had been without it there in a metal brooder with I'd say around fifty chicks. Is it possible they are already accustomed to the cooler air.

After I moved the chair they all are on the "shady" side of the brooder not really clumped just snuggled.

Now I wonder....should I just leave the light on all night or maybe put a towel over half?

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Perhaps they are just getting use to their new brooder. Going from 50 to just 5 could be the problem.

I have 4 week old chicks still under a lamp at night. My 5 week old BO chicks snuggle like they want their lamp back but they always are together in everything they do...they do not play well with the others so I'm really not looking forward to the time they all go into the coop/run when DH gets it done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by