Help, chicks neck

Pics

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
This chick hatched last night. Its neck isnt right it looks up all the time. Seems to be off balance but hasn't been out from under the broody yet. Should I give it time? Is there something I can do? Will it get better? Should I cull?

@Texas Kiki @Cyprus @aart

Attachments

• 20190821_192703.jpg
    20190821_192703.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190821_192648.jpg
    20190821_192648.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190821_192629.jpg
    20190821_192629.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 11
It was from a cousins chicken.. how do I treat for that.
It's caused by vitamin deficiencies.

You could double check to see what exactly they feed their birds and point them to a few articles here on BYC about good nutrition for breeder birds, before you hatch their eggs again.

To treat her you will need to give her vitamin E daily.

Last edited:

You could double check to see what exactly they feed thier birds and point them to a few articles here on BYC about good nutrition for breeder bird's, before you hatch their eggs again.

Thank you... their birds free range and are given some scratch grain.

You could double check to see what exactly they feed thier birds and point them to a few articles here on BYC about good nutrition for breeder bird's, before you hatch their eggs again.

The issue is caused by a lack of Thiamine (B1 vitamin) vitamin E will help with the uptake of Thiamine, but what the chick really needs is Thiamine, which can be found in any electrolyte/vitamin mix formulated for chicks as well as NutriDrench.

Thank you... their birds free range and are given some scratch grain.
Mine are on the same diet, but produce healthy eggs.

Chickens can produce viable hatching eggs on a free range diet. The forage they eat would have to be rich enough in nutrients and vitamins. Scratch can dilute that, which is why it shouldn't be free choice.

Back
Top Bottom