HELP ! Chicks poop bloody!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awesomefowl, Apr 25, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I noticed this morning that my 4 week old (5 weeks on Thursday) pullets poop is tinged with red blood. They are still acting perfectly normal, so I don't think it is cocci.
    Breed : EE and RIR
    Food: For the first two weeks of their life they were eating layer crumbles, due to a mistake with the feed store. After I releized this I switched them to chick crumbles and now they are on chick mash.
    Symtoms: Normal poop tinged with blood.

We did give them some ham last night for a treat.. Could this have something to do with it? Any help would be appreiciated as I don't want to lose my future layers.

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It honestly sounds like cocci. Check with your local feed store for Corrid. I believe it is for cows but it works on chickens too. If you PM dawg53 I know he knows how much to mix in with the water.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's the poop chart to help you determine what it is.
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    You dont want to feed your chicks nothing but chick starter/grower. It could be that they have shed intestinal lining (see poop pics in link for examples) which might contain some blood. This is normal. Cocci symptoms in chicks are; puffed up/lethargic/not eating, pooping blood which is in the final stage of infection.
    If you decide to treat them, as dsgard stated...treat them with corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5cc per gallon of water x 7 days OR 4.75cc per 2 quarts of water x 7 days. You should change it and make a new solution daily or as needed if they poop in the water. Good luck.

4. awesomefowl

I gave them some Sul-Met. Since the box is contaminated, what I really need to do is move them to a new box, but I don't have one on hand. drat.

5. awesomefowl

Their poop is still bloody. But they are still eating and happy.

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I found some poop in the chick box that had some thick red liquid in it - otherwise it was a regular grey-brown. I looked at the chart and I'm guessing it's just shed intestinal lining... At least I hope so. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by