Help!!! Chicks pooping blood

Markkinley

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Hi guys, just after some advise I had 7 chicks that I hatched in the incubator 4 silkies and 3 mixed breed.
They are now about 8 weeks old. Have been out side in coop but in seperate little cage for about a week. But yesterday I found 3 of them dead and 1 dead today.I put the remaining chicks in my carry cage to keep an eye on them and realised they are pooping with blood in it?
What could this be?
What could I do to help?
Can this affect my other 30 plus chickens?

help help help

any advise will be awesome I live about 2 hours away from any town and further from
Some where that would have anything to help

any home remedies?

I have googled at it is telling me it coccili or something?

Hi guys, just after some advise I had 7 chicks that I hatched in the incubator 4 silkies and 3 mixed breed.
They are now about 8 weeks old. Have been out side in coop but in seperate little cage for about a week. But yesterday I found 3 of them dead and 1 dead today.I put the remaining chicks in my carry cage to keep an eye on them and realised they are pooping with blood in it?
What could this be?
What could I do to help?
Can this affect my other 30 plus chickens?

help help help

any advise will be awesome I live about 2 hours away from any town and further from
Some where that would have anything to help

any home remedies?

I have googled at it is telling me it coccili or something?

You need to get CORID - which is usually available at any feed supply -- FAST. Coccidiosis. It can kill really, really fast. I am not aware of any home remedy, but that's what it's called so you can research.

Do you have any NEIGHBORS who have chickens? They might have some Corid.

And yes, treat ALL of your chickens - every one, in their water. It mixes into their drinking water, but the chicks will need direct doses as soon as you possibly can get them.

I'm not generally an alarmist but with more than half dead already - you're going to keep losing them. I hope you can get them medicated in time.

You need to get CORID - which is usually available at any feed supply -- FAST. Coccidiosis. It can kill really, really fast. I am not aware of any home remedy, but that's what it's called so you can research.

Do you have any NEIGHBORS who have chickens? They might have some Corid.

And yes, treat ALL of your chickens - every one, in their water. It mixes into their drinking water, but the chicks will need direct doses as soon as you possibly can get them.

I'm not generally an alarmist but with more than half dead already - you're going to keep losing them. I hope you can get them medicated in time.
I live in New Zealand and typed that into goodie and can’t find any?
the chicks have been seperate from my main flock with their own water supply and feed. And haven’t been in contact with any of the main flock?
I have no idea how they could have caught this or what is going on.
They have been separated since they hatched in side and when I put them out in the run the were in like a rabbit hutch by them selfs until they got a bit bigger.

I will do some more research thank you appreciate your advise and help

Medication wise:

Just in case there's a different brand name, the medication is "amprolium" (in the same way that Advil is ibuprofen) -- there is one other medication I'm aware of but haven't used for coccidiosis is "Sul-Med 100". If there's anyone nearby with chickens or that keeps pigeons, they may have one or both - if you have a vet you can call on, perhaps they've got something that will be effective - it is a VERY common problem in chicks.

Search Products | Jedds Bird Supplies
Sul-Med 100 Powder | Jedds Bird Supplies

It lives in the soil no matter where you are or what animals you keep. It just ... is. Here's a really good explanation of it:

Coccidiosis: What Backyard Chicken Keepers Should Know | The Chicken Chick® (the-chicken-chick.com)

When they first go outside, their first exposure with dirt starts things off. I've noticed that when I've had coccidiosis symptoms appear in my chicks, it happens more when the chicks haven't been on the ground (in the dirt) and built up their immunity. When I've got chicks raised by a broody hen who are out on dirt within their first week, I rarely have a problem with coccidiosis.

When chicks have been held inside for weather reasons or because there was no broody hen to raise them and they're too little to be with the flock by themselves, it always seems to pop up in my chicks within 3 days of their first exposure to dirt if it's going to be a problem.

The "Start and Grow Medicated" type feeds usually use a low-dose of amprolium which helps chicks slowly build an immunity (in the absence of being outside on dirt).

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

As for why to treat everybody - these nasty boogers live in the ground and then take over and gleefully multiply in the chick's body .. chick poops ... more to go around. Chances are your chickens have built up an immunity - but the chicks just upped the # of the nasties - so if you've been walking in the chick pen and then out to the chickens, you've spread the higher load to your chickens' area- so getting them treated knocks it down.

Not sure what New Zealand's requirements are, but here Corid can be given to laying hens with no egg withdrawal period (i.e. the eggs don't have to be discarded). Not sure about the sul-med 100 stuff.

OK quite late here so I'm headed to sleep. I hope you are able to save the remaining chicks- I will check in tomorrow!

So sorry I didn’t see this sooner! My chicks got coccidiosis a couple weeks ago and started dropping like flies I lost seven out of 24. I crushed garlic, acv, oregano oil and cinnamon together in their water and didn’t lose anymore, they stopped pooping blood and just kinda slept a lot for the next week, lost a week of development. Chicks hatched during this breakout and I put dirt in their brooder and give them a weak dose of the concoction and they’re actually almost the same size as the ones that got sick.

Back
Top Bottom