HELP chicks vent is sticking out and making a noise

small town chic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014

Please help

Clean her bottom of with warm water,be careful the tissue is delicate and then apply either sugar or prep H to help shrink swollen tissue. This helps with a prolapse which it appears she has.

Has she had pasty butt?

Keep her separate until tissue shrinks back otherwise other chicks will peck/pick at her bottom. Is she eating/drinking normal?

Last edited:
Yes I found this after I had clean her of pasty butt. We just purchased her from TSC today. Applying preparation h now. Thank you for your quick response

I am very gentle with pasty butt so as to not hurt them. I always let the butt soak in warm water and them work the poop out versus pulling. I know I wouldnt want someone pulling on my bottom lol. I have applied preparation h. She is moving around, eating and drinking fine

UPDATE : she seems to be fine but her vent is still protruding. How often should I put the preparation H on amd for how long?

We have 6 chicks, and two have pasty butt. we cleaned with warm water, and one chick had a "protuding" vent as well, which was a bit red. We added some Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water, and then dabbed on a little hydrocortisone cream to the red swollen area.

Hoping this will help. If anyone has other good cures, please post here.

Thanks
Dan

She isn't as red. I did start apple cider vinegar in the water and still using preparation H. She is still moving around and eating and drinking like normal. Should I separate her from the others?

I just picked up a chick today with the same issue except she has no fuzz on her butt at all. Its bald! I didn't notice until I got her home. The other chicks were picking at her butt at first but now they are not. After reading through this thread I am going to put her hiney is some warm water and is there anything else I can use besides prep H I have none of that at the moment. Is this something I should let the person who sold me this chick know? It is a Cochin chick. I have raised 2 sets of chicks this is my 3rd and pasty butt was an easy fix clean with my others and problem fixed. I have never seen this before. It makes me nervous. She honestly looked a little dirty so I cant take her back. I can keep her healthy and clean here. I just wont be buying from this lady again.

Back
Top Bottom