Help choosing a flock to manage..

Gosh, I am so sorry! I don’t see anything wrong with your setup as explained here. You have put so much thought into it. Where did you get your birds?
I don’t like the Omlet coop, I think it is too small and also doesn’t have good air circulation - that is the only issue I can find you might want to change.
Will look at your other threads to stop hijacking this one! Sorry!
Our local farm store ordered them through Mt Healthy. Omlet's getting upgraded to a traditional coop this spring. 👍 I'll write up a page on it when I have some downtime. It's an interesting product, but certainly not appropriate for most flocks (for exactly the reasons you mentioned).

My absolute favorite "breed" is the Easter Egger from Townline Hatchery. My EEs have always been good winter layers, giving around 250 eggs a year. My current EE is 9 months old and has been giving me an egg a day since September. She is not showing any signs of slowing down (It's January, and I am in upstate PA - our days are shorter than yours are downstate).
This year I tried Olive Eggers from Townline and am equally happy. My white OE was the first of my pullets to start laying (early August). She gave me an egg a day until early December, and is now molting. My black OE started laying in mid-September with the rest of my pullets (BO, GLW, Australorps), and is still giving me an egg a day.
If eggs are you absolute goal, I would stay away from any broody breeds. I would get breeds that lay 250+ eggs consistently. I would get 1 or 2 breeds that are good winter layers, and 1 or 2 that are good summer layers, that way you (hopefully) have a couple of hens laying in every season.
Best wishes!

Hello all.. hope everyone had a nice holiday!

We are new to chickens and need help on how to decide which breed(s) of chicken to get. Just recently finished our coop/run that has enough space for 6 comfortably. At this time we are only interested in egg production and do not want a rooster. I was planning on skipping the chick raising process and look for young hens.. but would this be a mistake? Is it better if we raise them from chicks so they become accustomed/friendly to us or more easily trained to the surroundings? Are some breeds easier than others to handle? Are there any that are more proficient layers in the winter? Our thought is to get 2 each of 3 different breeds. Does this make sense?

The most popular choices I see out there are Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Australorp. Is this the direction we should go as newbies?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks....
You can’t go wrong with Buff Orpingtons or Black Australorps. Calm, friendly and great egg layers!

Our Rhode Island hybrid was ridiculously smart. We taught her the command "box" to go to her dig box and wait for us to enter the run with treats (rather than getting swarmed at the door). She was also the only one to learn her name.
That's cool! Mine know voice commands too. They listen most of the time. I can't let them free range on their own because of predators so I usually either walk them around our large yard or put them in the fenced in garden for a bit every day. Come on chickies and they know to follow me, go go go means run to the coop.

Hello all.. hope everyone had a nice holiday!

We are new to chickens and need help on how to decide which breed(s) of chicken to get. Just recently finished our coop/run that has enough space for 6 comfortably. At this time we are only interested in egg production and do not want a rooster. I was planning on skipping the chick raising process and look for young hens.. but would this be a mistake? Is it better if we raise them from chicks so they become accustomed/friendly to us or more easily trained to the surroundings? Are some breeds easier than others to handle? Are there any that are more proficient layers in the winter? Our thought is to get 2 each of 3 different breeds. Does this make sense?

The most popular choices I see out there are Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Australorp. Is this the direction we should go as newbies?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks....
Well I have had my 4 chicks for 3 1/2 weeks so these are definitely thoughts and not advice! We wanted the chick experience so we got our ladies when they were 2 days old. They are a lot of work but we are retired so have the time to do it. They seem to have bonded to each other and us. They will sit on our shoulders already! We have an Australorp, a Buff Orpington, a golden laced Wyandotte and I was talked into a silkie while we were picking the other 3 up! We wanted friendly chickens as well as egg producers so these were the breeds we settled on. I personally wanted the experience of a mixed flock. Again I am only a teeny tiny bit ahead of you and don't even a little bit know that much but it just makes sense to me if they are going to be a part of your family to raise them from chicks! Good Luck!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I ended getting seven 12 week old easter eggers. They appear to be happy and content with their new home.
Congratulations!!!

That's a lovely solution! Same breed but come in so many different colors/feather patterns, plus the fun of different-colored eggs! Most of my flock of 8 were started pullets about 18 weeks+/- when they arrived, all different breeds, and once they settled in and learned to see us as a non-threatening source of treats and fun things to play with, they became very sociable (and worked out their pecking order very quickly, so little drama thank goodness). No problem picking them up, petting, doing health inspections, etc. after they'd been with us for 2-3 weeks.

My 2 Easter Eggers raised from chicks are very bonded to each other, do everything together, and like hanging out & roosting at night with the Whiting's True Blue - my only other pullet who lays colored eggs (the rest lay brown). I wouldn't hesitate to add more Easter Eggers in future.

The one caution is, they & the WTB are lighter-weight birds and all 3 can/will fly right over the 7-foot fence! (We have hawk net over their yard vs. aerial predators, but it keeps these girls in their safe yard, too!) I've seen them take flight and bounce off the hawk net, landing back in their yard with a very startled expression.😁

Congratulations!!!

That's a lovely solution! Same breed but come in so many different colors/feather patterns, plus the fun of different-colored eggs! Most of my flock of 8 were started pullets about 18 weeks+/- when they arrived, all different breeds, and once they settled in and learned to see us as a non-threatening source of treats and fun things to play with, they became very sociable (and worked out their pecking order very quickly, so little drama thank goodness). No problem picking them up, petting, doing health inspections, etc. after they'd been with us for 2-3 weeks.

My 2 Easter Eggers raised from chicks are very bonded to each other, do everything together, and like hanging out & roosting at night with the Whiting's True Blue - my only other pullet who lays colored eggs (the rest lay brown). I wouldn't hesitate to add more Easter Eggers in future.

The one caution is, they & the WTB are lighter-weight birds and all 3 can/will fly right over the 7-foot fence! (We have hawk net over their yard vs. aerial predators, but it keeps these girls in their safe yard, too!) I've seen them take flight and bounce off the hawk net, landing back in their yard with a very startled expression.😁
Thanks for chiming in. Things are going well. It's been 10 days and I'm doing my best to get them to warm up to me. So far.. this guy (Hawkeye) is the only brave one that will cautiously take treats from my hand.. the last two days. We shall see how it goes as time goes by. Should I try to grab one and hold/pet it for a period of time.. or let it be on their terms?

Attachments

• PXL_20240107_203051308.jpg
    PXL_20240107_203051308.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240108_143942513.jpg
    PXL_20240108_143942513.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom