Help choosing a rooster

Was the father an Americana/EE or Ameraucana? Only the Ameraucana is guaranteed to have that blue gene. The Americana or EEs are not guaranteed to have any blue genes at all
The father was an EE but was bred to a RIR and the offspring lay blue eggs. Since the RIR don’t carry the blue egg gene I thought it had to be the father.

The father was an EE but was bred to a RIR and the offspring lay blue eggs. Since the RIR don’t carry the blue egg gene I thought it had to be the father.
The male could Also have a brown gene (which would mean green eggs if he were a female) or a white gene (which would have meant lighter blues than a 2gene blue) and you've only gotten blue daughters by chance. Without breeding hundreds or dna-testing, it wouldn't be certain

That’s another reason I might want to keep the leghorn. He should carry the blue egg gene, since his father did, and I’d like to see what color eggs his offspring would lay. I will also take your advice on keeping him in a better coop. As of right now he’s in a pallet coop that lets in a lot of light. I am actually going to insulate that coop tomorrow because it’s just the leghorn and two other girls in this coop now. Hopefully the insulating will darken it enough that he won’t crow so early.

I did bring the brown one to a friendly farm tonight and asked the farmer to keep an eye on him. To let me know if he gets too aggressive or if he’s actually nice. As soon as the brown one was out of the cage on the farm he wasted no time in trying to mate with the farmers hens.
So, the brown has no respect for the strange females at all, only concerned with 'scratching his itch' regardless of how the hens feel, and no thought if there was another rooster there that might beat him up, or checking the new area for predators. And riding your own hens like horses clawing away at them as they run to get away from him?
That would answer the question for me.
Buh-bye, Brown.

Back
Top Bottom