Is my rooster worthless?

LuciferRoo

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
South Texas
I have a rooster named Peter.
He is a very big boy. I had a larger number of roosters than hens, so I separated the hens from roosters and put Peter with the girls.
The reason I chose him was because he was the most friendly towards me. I could pick him up any time and he did not run away nor complain. When he was little, he was one of 4 brothers who were the friendlies of all the chicks. As they aged, he remained the most friendly.
That is the background and he is now years old.
I had acquired more roosters last year. 7 were sent from a hatchery, even though I ordered females and 7 more were hatched by a hen.

My concern about him is that is not really protecting his hens or more accurately hen (he only had 4 but 3 are in quarantine right now). The hen gets chased and forcibly mated by the young roosters and while he runs to her, he only squawks next to "activity" but does not physically attack the other roosters.

Shouldn't he be protecting his hen(s) from other roosters?

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_125044.jpg
    IMG_20231126_125044.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have a rooster named Peter.
He is a very big boy. I had a larger number of roosters than hens, so I separated the hens from roosters and put Peter with the girls.
The reason I chose him was because he was the most friendly towards me. I could pick him up any time and he did not run away nor complain. When he was little, he was one of 4 brothers who were the friendlies of all the chicks. As they aged, he remained the most friendly.
That is the background and he is now years old.
I had acquired more roosters last year. 7 were sent from a hatchery, even though I ordered females and 7 more were hatched by a hen.

My concern about him is that is not really protecting his hens or more accurately hen (he only had 4 but 3 are in quarantine right now). The hen gets chased and forcibly mated by the young roosters and while he runs to her, he only squawks next to "activity" but does not physically attack the other roosters.

Shouldn't he be protecting his hen(s) from other roosters?
He might be feeling his age and not physically able to attack the other roosters.

My reason for asking is that I have 18 roosters right now and am giving away 15 of them tomorrow morning.

Peter has been my favorite because of how friendly he has been. He is a bit more reserved now, and will walk away when I try to pick him up. However, I would like to have a rooster that will protect his hens.
I am keeping 2 other roosters. Again, neither of those is dominant. As a matter of fact, both were injured in a dog attack.
One is a Plymouth Rock and almost died until I quarantined him and put him on antibiotics.
He is pretty friendly to me too.
The second one was also injured by the dogs and they took a piece of meat from his back.
He is also rather friendly towards me. He free ranges in the backyard and comes over and hangs out near me whenever I am in the yard.
He will stand within a few feet away from me when I am there.
Ironically, I am planning on keeping two roosters which are physically "substandard" and one who is Mr. Nice Guy.

To be clear, there were a lot of roosters in that back yard. I am getting rid of 15 tomorrow morning and 3 will remain. Truthfully, I should only keeps one, but how can I give away a rooster whom I nursed back to health from near death?
Or one that survived a dog pack attack, sill isn't 100% a couple of months later and likes to hang out near me?

Back
Top Bottom