Help choosing flock rooster from batch of roos

There are people who want every cockerel to live, so have bachelor groups, which may or may not work out well.
Also some breeders keep separate groups of males, so they have more breeding choices available.
Here we have a fairly large coop/ run combination, that can be closed off into five sections as needed, but most of the time is all one area. Birds have multiple feeders and waterers, and can be out of sight of each other, which helps everyone get along too.
Birds who just can't cope in the flock have to leave, one way or another.
Mary

You should post your Brahma on the "what sex is this" page! They were great and guessed all of my brahmas were male when I thought one might be a pullet.

I have and they agree that at this age (9 weeks, 7 when evaluated), Omelet is a possible cockerel. But Brahmas develop slowly so it will be at least another month or more until I can be certain.

If you are planning on a breeding flock and raising replacements, I go by hips, size, temperament, and last color, and here is an information video by the Livestock Conservatory

Then my wife comes along and it is all about the color, now we have one nice rooster, and 2 very colorful rooster that I hope to replace

Back
Top Bottom