Help Choosing which cockerel to keep

I ended up with two cockerels in the batch of chicks I have been raising. They are both about 4 months old now. The Dominique is the dominate one and he has just begun crowing in the past week. Both of them are calm around me thus far but the EE has been frisky with the pullets to the point of trying to grab and corner any as they enter the run. There are 13 pullets that were raised with them. I am leaning towards the Dominique because he seems the most calm with the girls and it might be nice to raise a few of my own. The flock is mixed, dominique, EE, RIR, Black Astro, RLBW, LB.

View attachment 2490087
View attachment 2490093
View attachment 2490091
View attachment 2490092
Those are beautiful Chickens. Yes I would keep the one that’s nice to the girls (and humans). Handsome too.
I do have a question about whether or not anyone has ever neutered a cockerel. I have three cockerels and they are beautiful mixed breed 5 month old Brahma Easter Egger. I hate to let them all go and am thinking about neutering one to keep. I already have a rooster that adequately services all the hands and he’s beautiful Brahma as well.

Honestly I would wait a little longer if it's possible. Those young cockerels can change in the upcoming months. There is no guarantee that the Dominique will stay calm and the EE will stay so rough with the girls.
But if you have to choose now I would keep the Dominique.

Cockerels can be neutered, and it's called 'caponizing', when they are very young, by eight weeks of age or so. Traditionally it's done without anesthesia of any kind, by experienced meat bird raisers, for the nearly extinct market for capons as big meat birds.
Your cockerels are way too old, and are likely to die in surgery, no matter who attempts it now.
Mary

Last edited:
Cockerels can be neutered, and it's called 'caponizing', when they are very young, by eight weeks of age or so. Traditionally it's done without anesthesia of any kind, buy experienced meat bird raisers, for the nearly extinct market for capons as big meat birds.
Your cockerels are way too old, and are likely to die in surgery, no matter who attempts it now.
Mary
Too bad. I had read that someplace but hope that some of you may have had other experiences that would encourage me to try it. I guess I’ll have to rehome them then. Thanks for the reply.

there's a ratio of chickens to hens

Example 1 Roo to 10 or 12 pullets
Yes indeed I probably will keep one of the young roosters as they’re so beautiful. And the older rooster which is his sire - if they continue to get along. Since I do have a good size flock. My determination on which of the three young cockerels to keep will rest on which one is least aggressive. I’m making those observations now. Thank you for your input.

Back
Top Bottom