HelP! "Chuck" won't let "Frieda" lay eggs...

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Okay, here's my dilemma: We have a 20-month old BR couple, Chuck and Frieda, who are what's left of the original flock of 4 we inherited back in May.
The other 2 ended up being roosters, too, and we traded them in for some pullets, who are probably about 3 or so months old. We've had the new girls for 2 weeks now, but Chuck and Frieda are totally focused on each other, and won't have much to do with the newbies.
The problem is that Frieda just started laying this week, and every time she tries to go into the hen house to sit in her nesting box, Chuck follows her inside and bugs her. He stands there, stares at her, and tries to climb into the box with her. This seems to really irritate her, and so she'll leave, only to return 10 minutes later (because that egg HAS TO COME OUT), and the whole thing starts over again. Should we close the hatch and lock her in there by herself until she's finished, or will that freak her out? And how long does it take a newly laying hen anyway, to produce an egg? Minutes? An hour? We'd really appreciate some input. Thanks!

I have had to shut mine in for about an hour or two to let her do her thing.

I have an overly protective roo that did the same thing at first but than she let him know that she needed to be alone and he pretty much lets them be now when they go in to lay.

But you can try it and see how upset she gets I think he might get more upset about it but usually they get over it pretty quick, or try giving him a special treat while she is doing her thing in there with the door shut, away from her.

Thank you, Christmaschicken, that's exactly what I ended up doing today. She was perfectly fine being locked in there to do her thing, but Chuck actually had a fit and started yelling his fuzzy behind off for about 15 minutes. He refused treats (even watermelon!!!), and just stood there and yelled and yelled and yelled (my poor neighbors!), but then he settled down and actually started hanging out with our "newbies" for the first time ever. After 20 minutes, I checked on Frieda, and she had already layed another beautiful, deep brown, tiny pullet egg, and was ready to join her old man.
Guess we'll do the same tomorrow, until he learns to leave her alone...

with all my love for all roosters,but mine bothers me all the time when he trys to irritate my hens,so every morning when I let them get out of the coop into their run I catch Mr.Rooster and let him free range by himself for few hours,funny thing about it he is so mad about that,that he stands the whole time close to the run watching the hen.
I understands that's his job to do what he does,but I swear the hens look way happier without him bothering them all the time.
Omran

Back
Top Bottom