Help!!! Chukar eggs not hatching but can hear them??

becky1677

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
I need some advice if anyone would could help I'd be grateful.
This Is my first time hatching Chukar. We are at day 25 Only 1 egg has a little hole stared which was last night and now nothing more. The humidity dropped over night in the incubator to 56%. I can HEAR a few chicks but their are not hatching?? Do they need help? After seeing we lost so much humidity last night I misted the eggs to try to help soften shell Not sure If I'm helping or making it worse now? Add water and watching humidity stabilize again. We are praying we didn't kill the eggs?? Any advice would be appreciated. Should I be misting them with warm water?? I see people do that with chicken eggs, not sure with chukar? Once a egg starts to hatch whets the average time for the chick to complete hatch?? Help Please!!

I wouldn't mist them. You are probably losing more humidity by opening the incubator than you are gaining by misting. If your at 25 days your incubator temperature was probably low. Chukar should hatch in 23 days at the proper temperature. Once an egg is pipped it usually takes 24-36 hours for them to start zipping. Zipping usually takes 30 minutes to an hour.

Did you hatch any out? I think you either had your temperature too low and had humidity problems. Temperature suppose to be at 99.5-100 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity at 45%-50%. Stop turning at day 20. Hatching humidity 55%-65%. Eggs older than 7 days old may require extra time to hatch. If you didn't turn them they got stuck in the egg and were not able to hatch. Too much humidity is always bad as well. Allows bacteria to go in the egg and kill the embryo. Also promotes fugal growth. How many eggs did you set and how many hatched?

I had 39 eggs total- Only 1 chick hatched on its own. We had to hatch 10 others. They made a tiny hole and never started zipping so we zipped the eggs for them but only 2 came out on own. We had to take wet Q-tips and roll back their sac then they popped right out. We had 4 more babies last night so they came out day 29-30 cant believe how well they are doing for being trapped for so long. They are all eating and drinking and very active. I was told not to help the eggs out because if they couldn’t get out on own they wouldn’t make it. They are all prefect so far. :) Now I did have my temp at 99.5- 101 the whole time so I’m not sure what happened. But not sure how old the egg were. There were shipped from NC to MI. So mayb they were little old. I have another 35 eggs but quail not chukar- that should start hatch next weekend keeping my finger crossed that we don’t have to do surgery on them like the last eggs. With the eggs being shipped from so far we never know how old the eggs are. Wish us luck!!!!

I had 39 eggs total- Only 1 chick hatched on its own. We had to hatch 10 others. They made a tiny hole and never started zipping so we zipped the eggs for them but only 2 came out on own. We had to take wet Q-tips and roll back their sac then they popped right out. We had 4 more babies last night so they came out day 29-30 cant believe how well they are doing for being trapped for so long. They are all eating and drinking and very active. I was told not to help the eggs out because if they couldn’t get out on own they wouldn’t make it. They are all prefect so far. :) Now I did have my temp at 99.5- 101 the whole time so I’m not sure what happened. But not sure how old the egg were. There were shipped from NC to MI. So mayb they were little old. I have another 35 eggs but quail not chukar- that should start hatch next weekend keeping my finger crossed that we don’t have to do surgery on them like the last eggs. With the eggs being shipped from so far we never know how old the eggs are. Wish us luck!!!!
Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

You should get a digital thermometer and hydrometer combo online or at petco or any pet shop. Because I have a feeling your temperature is way too low. Because they are hatching way too late

Take a close up! I just had my 2nd melanistic mutant pheasant hatch! Isn't he cute? Haha
so how are your chukar doing? And is this your first time raising them? And what do you raise them for?

. Yes this my first time raising them. We are raising for hunt an eat. Any tips is appreciated! I'll look into what farm these are from. I have two other batches going of quail 1 batch hatching now all on own yeaaahhh!!! :). Turned heat up to 101 had much better hatching 7 eggs. 5 hatched. 2 all yellow quail so cute. I post pics in few.

Back
Top Bottom