HELP! Classroom chick hatching- are they all dead?

Thank you for the advice! I am using an old still-air incubator with an automatic turner. They are vertical with the fat end up. I have kept the temperature between 99-101 and the humidity right around 50%.
You need additional calibrated thermometers aside from the actual installed incubator thermometer. They are notorious for being inaccurate. It could be 1 degree cooler than what it actually reads and that is disastrous. Aside from temp verification, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Most prefer dry hatching and find it more successful than worrying about fighting with the humidity to stay up. My dry hatching stays at roughly 34%.. another important factor, how did you acquire the eggs to hatch?

You need additional calibrated thermometers aside from the actual installed incubator thermometer. They are notorious for being inaccurate. It could be 1 degree cooler than what it actually reads and that is disastrous. Aside from temp verification, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Most prefer dry hatching and find it more successful than worrying about fighting with the humidity to stay up. My dry hatching stays at roughly 34%.. another important factor, how did you acquire the eggs to hatch?
I live in Illinois and I was given them by our University of Illinois 4H program.

I live in Illinois and I was given them by our University of Illinois 4H program.
Well knowing how long the clutch sat out before being incubated is a factor in viability. Also, the temperature of where they waited. (Fridge, room air, etc) if they were gathered from the nests and immediately went to incubation, it probably is at a contributing issue. Also, just simple genetics could be a factor in poor viability.

Well knowing how long the clutch sat out before being incubated is a factor in viability. Also, the temperature of where they waited. (Fridge, room air, etc) if they were gathered from the nests and immediately went to incubation, it probably is at a contributing issue. Also, just simple genetics could be a factor in poor viability.
That's good to know. So it may not be my fault...haha!

Eggs can be left at room temperature for up to a week while acquiring enough for a full cluth to incubate. Less is preferred, longer greatly reduces the chances of success. Also, if the eggs weren't stored pointy end down during this time, that lowers odds, as well as the movements in between trasfer from them to you. Its quite a complicated process, lol.

Back
Top Bottom