HELP!, coccidia treatment not working-if that's what it is ?????

The only parasite that is showing up is coccidia. My practice doesn't like to overuse antibiotics with the worry of resistance but I've not used ab's on these guys yet. Not sure the protein?
The protein percentage is on the guaranteed analysis tag of all animal feed sold. I think it is also on the nutrition portion of any human food too.
With chicken feed, it is often even in large print on the bag itself.
I never buy a bag of feed without verifying the protein % and mill date at a minimum.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are feeding.

Try the Toltrazuril as suggested and see how it goes.

Just curious, you have 2 that are not feeling well, are they the only 2 of the same breed you have or do you have others the same breed/age.
The two in question are the ones pictured at the start of the thread, lavandar Orp, and leghorn. The Leghorns sibling is fine, and the other birds seem ok. Have you used Toltrazuril?, any side effects?, any withdrawl?, I do have egg layers currently.

I wouldn't recommend any form of treatment till you know exactly what you are treating. In my one flock's case, tetracycline was appropriate because we knew they had a bacterial infection that was treatable by tetracycline.
I never recommend antibiotics unless a treatable bacteria was at fault, just as I wouldn't recommend prophylactically using anthelminthics, even though many people do so on a schedule. I might think differently if I lived in Florida but we get cold and worms are not as pervasive year round here.
Have them look at the fecal again, they may not recognize the type of bacteria but they would be able to tell if it was a bacteria they were looking at. It could just as easily be a virus which tetracycline couldn't help but rather be problematic.
Does anyone in your veterinary practice preach antibiotic resistance?
The problem could even be feed. What protein percentage are you feeding?
I am also currently treating 1 chicken isolated with Corid 0.13 orally 2x a day for 3days is the normal. Mine is a.mystery. Her left is closed treating with terramycin ointment. She is eating less but it is eating & drinking with only 1 or 2 formed poops a day. The rest is loose, was foul smelling until after the 1st day of Corid. She is laying a perfect egg everyday. This started Sat evening. I'm just trying what I can. She just sleeps alot. Also no vet for chickens

I am also currently treating 1 chicken isolated with Corid 0.13 orally 2x a day for 3days is the normal. Mine is a.mystery. Her left is closed treating with terramycin ointment. She is eating less but it is eating & drinking with only 1 or 2 formed poops a day. The rest is loose, was foul smelling until after the 1st day of Corid. She is laying a perfect egg everyday. This started Sat evening. I'm just trying what I can. She just sleeps alot. Also no vet for chickens
It's frustrating :-(, sorry your girl isn't feeling well....

No vet for chickens is a common refrain. There are only about a third the number of veterinary schools as there were 40 years ago.
Those students who study poultry there are usually employed by big AG. Very few have a goal of treating backyard flocks.

The two in question are the ones pictured at the start of the thread, lavandar Orp, and leghorn. The Leghorns sibling is fine, and the other birds seem ok. Have you used Toltrazuril?, any side effects?, any withdrawl?, I do have egg layers currently.
I have not used Trotrazuril, but do have some on hand if I ever need it.

I'd only treat the 2 that are having issues, they are not currently laying eggs, so you wouldn't have to worry about tossing eggs for a couple of weeks.

It is a shame your firm doesn't treat chickens, but luckily, they did a fecal float test. You probably already realize that coccidia is everywhere in the world, likely several different species. That means that a fecal float will always present oocysts whether that is the problem or not unless the chickens are in an indoor sterile environment.
Your chickens look old enough to me that they have long become resistant to the species of coccidia present on your property.
I'll wager, the problem isn't coccidiosis. The initial Corid treatment would have already resolved the issue by this time in almost all cases.
Are you seeing blood in the stool?
I will further wager the problem is bacterial, not protozoan or helminthic.
I once had serious diarrhea in one of my flocks. I thought about worming them but I decided to have a fecal read instead. Hoping to discover what type of worms were causing the problem. I tried about 25 vets around me. Most wouldn't do it even though any vet CAN do a fecal for worms, they just wouldn't for a chicken. I found a large animal vet 40 miles away in Illinois who agreed to do so. He didn't treat chickens normally but as a farm vet he saw more than dogs, cats and parrots.
The chickens had no worms but a severe case of clostridial bacteria that tetracycline fixed.
In all the fecals that you did, what kind of worms did they show?

By the way, there really isn't anything wrong with getting chickens from TSC.
NPIP isn't a magic bullet. It only means the flock has tested Pullorum/Typhoid clean. All the hatcheries that supply Tractor Supply are NPIP as well.
An NPIP breeder's flocks could just as easily be harboring any of dozens of bacteria or viruses.
Corid doesn't work. Quickly get some Trim Sulfa in his water. The bird one in a package works fine with a scoop into a gallon

Back
Top Bottom