Help? Comet laid an egg with no shell and hasn't laid since

pheebster

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
Bay Area, CA
Is this common? My golden comet started laying a few weeks ago, we got an egg a day for 10 days. Then Sunday evening she squatted in the middle of my deck and laid an egg with no shell and hasn't laid anything since. Three days with nothing. Her behavior looks normal to me, she's drinking water and eating and doing all her daily activities as per usual. I haven't switched to layer feed because the rest of my ladies aren't laying yet but she does have oyster shell available all the time. Anything I should be looking for? These are my first chickens; I'm new to this. Thanks!

This is what she laid Sunday night

Hi! If she's acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pullets take a long time to get into a regular cycle of laying, so she'll probably start up again soon. Good luck!

What behaviors should I be on the lookout for? She laid the above egg, then went three days without laying at all. This morning she laid a rubbery thin shelled egg in the middle of the coop floor, not in the nest box, that was promptly stepped on and smashed. I'm having a hard time accepting that this is normal. She's 21 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom