Help, concerned with hen hopping on one leg.

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
We have had wild chickens in our neighborhood for years and we love having them around. One hen, I named 'Blackie', broke her leg about two months ago. She hops on one leg and seems to be fine. I was so worried that she wasn't going to make it so I started throwing feed in my yard to help her out. She, her three chicks (about 4 months old), and others started coming around. In the years past, generations of chickens came and went. It seems that once their chicks get older, the mother hen disappears. Where do they go? I'm worried that it is time for Blackie to go as I'm not seeing her around feeding time as often. Also, having been chased by some roosters months ago, could she be - pregnant? Is it time? Is she well? Why do the hens disappear and never to be seen again? I'm so concerned about her because she gets tired hopping on one leg and takes lots of rests. I'm afraid that she won't make it. Please anyone, can you help me answer these questions? I'm trying to understand chickens but no one in the neighborhood really knows. What's cute is, when I call out 'Blackie', she answers and starts coming. But today, she didn't come around though I later found her in another part of the yard.

Quote:
OUCH!

She prolly gets food all over the place. Making her rounds. She's got to show her chickies the ins and outs of the hood. They have all that room to roam anything could be happening.

welcome-byc.gif
checkinon.

These are very normal questions!

It's possible little Blackie is pretty old and will pass on, or she may be ill. If she is "broody" she may not come around a lot because she is setting on eggs in a nest somewhere. If she is, she'll come around a lot more if/when the eggs hatch. She may even show up with some babies!

If you see her again and can check her over by picking her up and examining her, you could get an idea of how healthy she is.

It's nice that you put out treats for the wild chickens. Where are you located?

Hawaii. Thank you for asking. And thank you for your help. I started out feeding Blackie and her chicks. Now, I've got four more older chickens. Blackie is still around waiting for the free handout.

welcome-byc.gif

It's also possible that when hens disappear without a trace that a predator has gotten them. Fencing them in and providing a safe coop will really cut down on losses.

Thank you all for your help.

In Hawaii, we have the Hawaiian Hawk. And, it was seen flying around our neighborhood picking up the little chickens. Though, I have not seen it myself - it is the size of a chicken. We also have lots of mongoose that attack the little chicks and I'm thinking that's what happened to Blackie if the mongoose tried to attack her while protecting her young and in the process broke her leg.

Back
Top Bottom