Help! Contingency Plan for Turkeys Arriving in April?

I can't answer about the space you need, but if you did the smaller hoop houses to make it easier to move you could link them together by lining them up and adding "doors" that connected the structures.
Smart thinking!

I think I would build their one large stationary shelter you planned on anyways and use an electric poultry fencing around shelter until you can finish fencing in the rest. That way they already know where shelter is and used to using it from the start. Electric poultry netting can be moved to provide fresh ground for foraging if needed. When main fence is done all you have to do is remove electric fencing and away they go to free range all 7.5 acres, and they already know where home/roosting shelter and feed and water is to come back to at night. Plus, they can all live together from the start with no integration problems later on. In my opinion this would be easiest and best way to start out definitely cheaper and much less time consuming. Also, just to let you know Heritage turkeys prefer to roost outdoors you may want to build that shelter as open as possible with roof and semi closed in on a few sides of prevailing wind for blocking heavy winds. Mine will not use closed in coops. My birds roost outside no matter what the weather is. A few pics of my setup for my heritage turkeys. Might give you some ideas of what they like. You will see a 3 walled building in pics that at beginning I thought they would have for roosting. But very few ever roost in it, so I partitioned half off for feed/supply storage and a large enclosed brooder for poults in spring. Open half with a few large nesting boxes hens do use for nesting in spring.
This was my initial thought, but I keep reading about how the heritage breeds have a tendency to fly out of their fenced in space if they don’t feel like it’s large enough and I started to get concerned that without our perimeter fencing, they’d be more susceptible to attacks from neighborhood dogs.

How much poultry netting would you recommend?

I have seen your pics all over the BC forums and 😍😍 they are awesome!! If we weren’t planning on rotational grazing our birds once we get our sheep, I would absolutely look into setting up something similar.

Tarps don't hold up well here in the wind and UV damage at elevation.
Maybe with it in the shade like it is and it supposed to have UV protection also. Plus, with the wire under for support and the netting over the top and it is nice and tight and very heavy it doesn't flap in wind at all. It still looks like new after 6 years.

Had extra wire from putting up fence and tarp a buddy had from his trucking company and gave it to me. I didn't think it would hold up like it has but buddy said he has used them for many years on his trailers for covering loads with good durability, so we tried it. I had plans from beginning to use steel roofing and thought I would have had to replace tarp by now with steel, but it is still going strong and was free.

Maybe with it in the shade like it is and it supposed to have UV protection also. Plus, with the wire under for support and the netting over the top and it is nice and tight and very heavy it doesn't flap in wind at all. It still looks like new after 6 years.
5200' elevation makes a difference even when they are UV protected. Almost constant wind doesn't help either.

5200' elevation makes a difference even when they are UV protected. Almost constant wind doesn't help either.
I can believe that. It is tucked away pretty good where it is not out in open wind, and low end and lower side stops predominant winds from getting under I'm sure that helps also.

Back
Top Bottom