Help! Contingency Plan for Turkeys Arriving in April?

lbfdap21

Songster
Dec 1, 2021
Hey guys! I have 24 Bourbon Reds shipping to me from Cackle Hatchery in mid-April.

The plan was to fence in about 7.5 acres on the "farm" we moved into about 6 months ago for them to range on and build a large stationary shelter, but we've run into a snag with the property survey (nothing major, just time-consuming) that is pushing our fencing timeline out farther than I feel comfortable with.

Because of that, I'm trying to come up with a contingency plan - I was thinking that if I built four tractors, either 6'x10' or 6'x16', I could house 6 birds in each tractor and then surround the whole area with moveable electric poultry netting for extra protection. I could move the tractors around every so many days. I don't want to let them free-range without perimeter fencing since we have a lot of country dogs that wander onto our property whenever suits their fancy.

Would that give the turkeys enough space? How often should I move the tractors? Any suggestions on getting water out to them? I had wanted to implement an auto watering system, but not sure if that'll add too much weight to easily move the tractor.

The plan was to fence in about 7.5 acres on the "farm" we moved into about 6 months ago for them to range on and build a large stationary shelter, but we've run into a snag with the property survey (nothing major, just time-consuming) that is pushing our fencing timeline out farther than I feel comfortable with.
I think I would build their one large stationary shelter you planned on anyways and use an electric poultry fencing around shelter until you can finish fencing in the rest. That way they already know where shelter is and used to using it from the start. Electric poultry netting can be moved to provide fresh ground for foraging if needed. When main fence is done all you have to do is remove electric fencing and away they go to free range all 7.5 acres, and they already know where home/roosting shelter and feed and water is to come back to at night. Plus, they can all live together from the start with no integration problems later on. In my opinion this would be easiest and best way to start out definitely cheaper and much less time consuming. Also, just to let you know Heritage turkeys prefer to roost outdoors you may want to build that shelter as open as possible with roof and semi closed in on a few sides of prevailing wind for blocking heavy winds. Mine will not use closed in coops. My birds roost outside no matter what the weather is. A few pics of my setup for my heritage turkeys. Might give you some ideas of what they like. You will see a 3 walled building in pics that at beginning I thought they would have for roosting. But very few ever roost in it, so I partitioned half off for feed/supply storage and a large enclosed brooder for poults in spring. Open half with a few large nesting boxes hens do use for nesting in spring.

Last edited:
Roosts just out of heavy winds.
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

I built the exact same type coop except I covered completely in 1/2 hardware and the ends are wood(solid) with a door at each end. I have my roost at the end just like the picture except I turned them so they run the same direction as the coop so that I could have a door at each end and I can walk between the roost. It allows me to go in either end and the same with the turkey. It's just my thought but by making several you'll need to enclose the end on each one. Why not make just 2 large ones or 1 very large one. Mines 8 x 20. You won't be able to tractor but if the end idea is to let them free range you won't need it to be light anyway. Also If you use 2x8 at the bottom and raise the cattle panel to 5 inches off the ground it will give you head room. I'm 6 foot and have a couple inches of head clearance in mine.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Maybe with it in the shade like it is and it supposed to have UV protection also. Plus, with the wire under for support and the netting over the top and it is nice and tight and very heavy it doesn't flap in wind at all. It still looks like new after 6 years.
5200' elevation makes a difference even when they are UV protected. Almost constant wind doesn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom